Journey's journey into SW Aquaria

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
I am very excited, and quite nervous, about beginning my first SW tank. My family always had them but all I knew about them was that they were cool to watch and when mom said "Let's go to the other room for awhile" it meant that something was going wrong with the tank and my dad might start saying the "s" word.

My tank is a 25 gallon tall. I got this because I intended to start with a Deep Sand Bed which would lift my rocks/corals up to average height to the lights. I think I ended up with an "average" sand bed though after I've been warned that all DSBs eventually crash. Here is my equipment:

TAAM Rio Nano Skimmer

Aquaclear 50 Filter Ultra

Hydro Koralia Nano Pump Powerhead 260 GPH

Maxi-Jet 600 Powerhead

Pro-Heat Titanium IC Heater 150

SunDial T5 HO Lighting System 24''

Right now all I just have 20lbs of live rock and all of my live sand in the tank. A few hitch hikers too like snails, a mithrax crab, feather dusters, and all that cool stuff that comes on the live rock. I ordered the LR, LS, and CUC from Tampa Bay Live Rock. I mention their name intentionally because they rock and I love them.

I cheaped out on the skimmer and filter because I'm hoping that my LR will eventually do most of that work for me. I ended up getting an extra (cheaper) powerhead simply because my cool one didn't arrive before my LR arrived and I needed some flow in the meantime.

I'm "cycling" the tank now. Tampa Bay sends half the LR to cycle and then after the cycle is done sends the other half of the LR and the CUC. I think this is to make sure that the cycle doesn't kill everything. The way that they ask you to cycle is to make sure (using water changes) that your ammonia never really spikes hard - never above 1ppm. They include a bag of bacteria to mix into the tank too. Most people cycle within 10 days using this method so hopeful in about 2 weeks I'll be able to grab the rest of my LR!!! And CUC!

My mithrax crab is the star of the show right now! There are lots of different sponges, a plants, tiny feather dusters, hydroids?, some sort of worms...all sorts of neat stuff in there! I can't wait for the last of the LR to arrive.

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the equipment, fish stocking options, coral stocking options (I especially like the ones with that glow in the dark green color), etc.

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008

Last edited:

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
I'm figuring out how to upload pictures. Hopefully, I'm going to share some pics of my live rock. If you can identify anything in here, that would be fabulous.

Last edited:

alpha123

Return to the sea '08
Mar 18, 2008
Houston
WOW, just saw you picture. That is it, I am saving up to order a box from them. And use my LFS LR as base rock.

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
Keep in mind that a coat of silt is on everything from me moving stuff around.

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
Trying to upload more...it's just taking me awhile...I"m a newbie. And, if these aren't that great of rocks, feel free to bust my bubble. Better to know than not.

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
Man, I hate that there is silt all over it. You can't really see how colorful it is. Bummer.

Oops...those last ones were 4 and 5.

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store