Dwarf Gourami tankmates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jstsouthofsanit

Registered Member
Mar 24, 2008
I have one red flame dwarf gourami in a 5 gal hex tank. If the one inch per gal rule is true then I should have 2.5 in of fish left, correct? Right now I'm thinking barb (black ruby or tiger) or another small gourami (dwarf or honey). I've also heard they do well with loaches and mollies. I know gourami are carnivores so I'm also wondering how they handle snails. If anyone has experience with this species or advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tnoutlaw36

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
welcome to ac. nice fish. the one inch per gallon rule is not always true, not sure but there is not many fish that will work in a 5g. maybe abetta or some shrimp

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
No more fish other than a gourami but those species are overrated. I said it before sparkling gouramis need more publicity.

:welcome: to AC!

chefrossco

AC Members
Mar 21, 2008
hi and welcom to AC i have kept these g'mai befor and also the blue version . i find them great fish but to answer your question id honestly try to get a larger tank and then get him a friend. they are carnivores and a snail is probably not a good idea .. he wouldnt eat the snail whole but would nip at it. as far as tank mates go mine live with all sorts - honey g'mai, kissing g'mais betta's parrot's plattys and sailfin plec and have never had any trouble with any of them. i personally would not add any crustacians - just incase.

but thats a fantastic looking fish and take care of him.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
That's a pretty gourami. I think one in a 5g is all you can have, and I don't know if I'd trust him with shrimp.

oscaremmy

Keeper of the Frogdog
Feb 27, 2008
East Central Indiana, USA
I like the DG - and yours is a really nice looking fish - he looks to be in great condition. I'd only keep one fish in there though, because waste can build up pretty fast in a small tank and if there are just 2 fish in a small space, bullying can happen, with nowhere for the bullied fish to escape. In a tank with a lot more fish, there is a kind of safety in numbers - not always - but I think weak fish can stand a better chance in a crowd sometimes -they're not always the center of the bully's attention. Some Gouramis can be quite aggressive.

tnoutlaw36

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
after reading my post i think some people thought i meant plus a betta and shrimp. what i meant was a betta or shrimp only in a 5g. thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store