Fragging leather toadstool

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
OK so I've fragged Xenia, Zoas, candycanes and GSP but I have never actually fragged a Leather Toadstool. Mine is now 12 inches in diameter when fully spread so I thought I'd try that next.

Has anyone ever fragged one before and how did you do it???

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Are you looking to completely frag it up? Or, do you just want to give it a trim?

If you want to completely frag it up, you could cut the cap off where it attaches to the stalk. The stalk will grow a new cap, and the cap you removed can be cut into numerous frags.

If you're just looking to give it a trim, the "donut" or "ring" method works pretty well without distorting the shape of the cap. Essentially, you cut a ring out around the entire outer edge of the cap, then cut that ring into numerous frags.

However you frag it, it's important to make sure the frags and parent receive enough flow. It'll help with any sliming and keep anything from settling upon them while they are trying to heal.

I frag our toadstool leather frequently. There's really little to be worried about. I've used a pair of stainless steel scissors to cut frags off (which I find very easy), however, a clean razor blade works very well, too (thinner cut without smashing any of the tissue).

I prefer using toule / wedding veil material to hold the frags in place until they heal. I wrap the material completely around the frag and plug or small piece of rubble / shell I want the frag to attach to, then rubberband the material in place. It takes a week or two, but the frag will attach on its own and start growing a stalk. Super glue is more difficult to use because of all the sliming, and I've had many toadstool frags that seemed secure come free after a few days. I'm not a fan of the rubberband and toothpick method for securing frags simply because I don't like the idea of putting a hole into the frags. Yes, it's effective, but it's not my choice for fragging leathers.

strangerdejavu

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
Good info, fsn - thanks! I was curious about this as well.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
You're welcome!

I forgot to mention that it's best to frag a toadstool leather outside of the display tank if at all possible. Just in case the leather releases any toxins or slimes heavily during the fragging process, it's best to have all of that occur somewhere other than the display tank. Cutting off a small frag or two usually isn't a problem, but major fragging would best be done outside the display tank in a separate pan or bucket of tank water.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Thanks FSN that's helped me a lot. My only problem is, is that the toadstool has welded itself to at least 4 rocks which are underneath a load of other rocks, so I think the slowly but surely method will be for me rather than trying to do it all in one go. I should really get rid of it as I'm moving onto SPS & LPS now and I know that the leather can cause problems which is why I'll give it a trim!

many thanks

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
If you'd really like to remove at least the bulk of it, you could cut the stalk near the base where it's attached to all those rocks (as close as it's convenient for you). It'll likely grow a new cap from there as well, plus you could frag up the larger portion of it or trade / sell off the rest of it whole. Cutting the stalk off near the rocks in-tank shouldn't be a concern. Running some fresh carbon for a couple of days after cutting it off should catch any organics it releases.

mudskippers

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Tempe, AZ
wow.... talk about growth... :jaw:

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
I've had my leather for almost a year, and it still won't extend all it's polyps.. I fragged a small portion off before the recent tank change, and the frag acted the same way. Since the move, the frag looks kinda sad. I don't think he likes his new home, but the rock is too large for movement. The original leather still looks the same; just refuses to bloom out... Any ideas?

FYI: I added an 18000k strip light to the aquaruim because of the added depth going from a 55 to a 90.. Is it possible it gets too much light now? What about location in the tank? I assumed they like a decent amount of flow..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store