Hmm, more conflicting info- Platies and Guppies Compatible?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

injunear

AC Members
Mar 10, 2008
I'm so confused. This is the second time I've read this. One site that Platies and guppies should be one, or the other but not both in a community tank.

Which is it? Are they compatible?

Compatibility Fancy Guppies are best kept in a group with at least three male Fancy Guppies and about twice as many female Fancy Guppies. Good tank mates for Fancy Guppies are Cory Catfish, Small Tetras such as Neon Tetras, White Clouds, Honey Gourami, Glass Fish, Ghost Shrimp, and African Dwarf Frogs.

Quite often large Mollies will attack Guppies. Even though both Mollies and Guppies are often sold as "Community Fish", usually large Mollies and Guppies are not compatible tank mates. Swordtails and Platies are also not good tank mates for Guppies. Guppies do better with smaller tank mates like the ones listed above.
http://www.****************/catalog_pages/livebearer_guppies/guppies.htm#top2

Choco

AC Members
Jan 12, 2008
I've had a platies that attacked a male guppy which died a few days later from the injury...

They were fine for more than 2 months together in a 20G...don't know why the platies suddenly turn on to the guppy

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Although there could be a rare occasion, most of the time they're fine. I've found lots of other bogus info on that site, mostly on their version of "brackish"...

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
I have always kept my platies with guppies in the past. Right now some of my platies are part of an experiment where I'm keep some with herotilapia multispinosa and I don't think guppies would be big enough to go in with them. So far the platies have been fine with them for over 6 months but I'm still nervous about the big size difference. I've also found mollies OK with both guppies and platies but I do avoid crowding my tanks. Mollies can get a bit aggressive if crowded.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I have never heard that guppies and platies are not compatible. Swordtails and mollies as well as platies should all be fine with guppies.

Marinemom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store