Why do tangs mimic angels?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Such as the lemonpeel, halfblack, herald and such pygmy angels. Is there an advantage to mimic the angels? It is cool for aquarium keepers because you can have the coloration and beauty of an angel without the risk of violence and coral issues.

I want the lemonpeel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I don't quite get what you're asking with mimicking angels?

and yes, most angels do tend to go through a drastic change in appearance from juvenile to adult. You can trust peteducation as being a reliable source, although there are some slight differences between different reliable sources, but overall a nice quick look at a certain species.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Oh ya so then how come it has the blue around its eyes if its not a lemonpeel?

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
"The Chocolate Surgeonfish, also known as the Mimic Surgeon, or Mimic Lemon Peel Tang, has a yellow oval body when a juvenile."

Straight from the site above...

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
"The Chocolate Surgeonfish, also known as the Mimic Surgeon, or Mimic Lemon Peel Tang, has a yellow oval body when a juvenile."

Straight from the site above...
yes TANG. not ANGEL

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Ya exactly...lemonpeel tang mimics the angel.....that's what its all about! BAAAA ZING!

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
and i have no idea what you're talking about, still. Mimic isn't a good word, that implies (to me) that it's done for a reason, when I don't belive it's anything more than it's just juvenile coloration. I haven't read anything that indicates that it's more than that.

They look similar. Much like other fish look similar, or corals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store