adopting a new aquatic friend

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hammy & Waf

fishaholics
Nov 8, 2007
columbus, oh
so just now i was talking to a friend and he made me an offer. we decided to trade some things. i traded him a 20 long with a metal stand and my fire bellied newt setup, newt included, and a 10 gallon tank for his teacup stingray. i thought this to be a pretty good deal. the only problem is that his stingray has not been eating very much and is supposed to be quite skinny. when i go over there is there anything i should look for on the stingray as an indication not to get it. i was thinking of setting up a 40 gallon breeder with a bare bottom for him for now. any tips on getting him to eat, tank suggestions or any general advice would be great. this is the first stingray i will have owned so any newbie advice is also appreciated. thanks in advance. will try to post pictures tonight.

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
What is a teacup sting ray?

FL22

Do as I say!
Jan 22, 2007
O-H I-O!

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
You might want to look at building a large Plywood tank instead, keep costs down and give the thing some room. I'm looking at building a 300g tank for under $1700, although that includes equipment, fish, filter, wood, plants ect ect ect. The cost for the tank itself is like $375 give or take. That includes the glass, wood (framing and such) and the Epoxy, screws, silicone and such.

How long has he been in that 10g? If he's been stunted though it won't be the healthiest of rays out there.

Hammy & Waf

fishaholics
Nov 8, 2007
columbus, oh
ok, well the situation is as follows. the stingray is pretty small about 3 1/2" from front of head to base of tail. he looks really skinny, not very healthy, the previous owner said he tried to feed them cut up guppies and redworms and couldnt get him to eat either, said he hasnt seen him eat since he has got it, i think that was about 3-4 weeks ago, so he figured he has eaten something, just hasnt seen it, definitely skinny though. i have a couple of guppies in there and they were eating a shrimp pellet off of him earlier and he didnt even move. what do i do about this, what can i try? the tank he was in before was a 75 gallon community with medium sized fish and gravel. right now he is in an established 55 gallon with gravel, but today i will be working on his 40 gallon breeder. i was planning on doing a bare bottom for now, so i can monitor his progress and moving to sand when he gets better. is there any tips for me when setting up my tank? i figured as small as he is now he should be fine for a while. i plan on upgrading to bigger tanks in the future so he will end up going in one of those.

and by the way, the stingray was never in a 10 gallon, i traded him a 20 gallon and a 10 gallon of mine for his stingray.

thanks for all your help, i hope i can get him eating and healthy again. i said i would have pics, so here are a couple of him in the 55 gallon. will try to keep you all updated on the 40 gallon breeder setup and his health. will continue to post pics. thanks again.

Hammy & Waf

fishaholics
Nov 8, 2007
columbus, oh
the pics

IM001708.JPG IM001710.JPG IM001712.JPG

Hammy & Waf

fishaholics
Nov 8, 2007
columbus, oh
for a 3 1/2" stingray? i think he will be fine in a 40 breeder for now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store