mysis shrimp vs plankton vs krill vs brine shrimp vs bloodworms vs tubifex, etc etc

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
There are so many different freeze dried foods to choose from. And I can't seem to find a break down of the pros and cons and/or the uses of each choice.

Anyone care to enlighten?

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
I always thought the various types of frozen foods just meant a wider variety for fish to choose from. Like, it's more so for taste for the fish eating it, rather than nutrition...
Well, that's how I see it anyway.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
There are so many different freeze dried foods to choose from. And I can't seem to find a break down of the pros and cons and/or the uses of each choice.

Anyone care to enlighten?
An interesting discussion!

Unfortunately I don't have much to add, but I would like to see other's inputs ;)

I'll see what I can dredge up myself...I use the Omega One Brands, but I don't know what the Pros/Cons are for say a Bloodworm vs. Krill are?

Clarice

Exotic Pets and Animals
Mar 26, 2008
animal-world.com
There are a lot of foods available!

Mysis shrimp, plankton, krill, brine, bloodworms, tubifex... these are all protein foods. After I read your post, I started looking through my "library" of fish books to see if anyone talked about the differences.

Well, what I found out is that no... nobody really does a direct comparison of them. There are differences in protein, fat, fiber, and a few other things. There are also differences in size and shape. I did find some comparisons of prepared fish diets, but these were mixes with a variety ingredients. So it looks like it will take researching each one independently for a direct comparison.

Basically it comes down to what kind of fish you are feeding. As you research your fish, there will be suggestions for types of food that species can eat and will thrive on.

You should have no problem fiding the best kinds of foods for your particular fish!

BoredAgain

Cubs in '10
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
I used to feed freeze dried foods...but my fish never seemed to take to it and it would just be wasted. Now I feed frozen foods, bought all the varieties I could, they eat it all.

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
I have a community tank
Omega one flakes, algae wafers, Hikari cichlid pellets (blood parrots and the Congo Tetras love em')
Bloodwoorms as a treat but not often
i don't feed heavy once in the morning and again at night

Last edited:

ct-death

Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Clarice -
Nice post and Welcome to AC! ;)

From (http://www.fishlore.com/Articles/FishFoodForDummies.htm)

"FREEZE-DRIED FOODS
Aquarium stores also sell freeze-dried foods. These differ from flake foods in that they usually have only a single animal-ingredient each ( e.g. mosquito larvae, blood worms, tubifex worms etc.) and they are usually in the form of chunks or as individual organisms, rather than flakes. These foods are not in themselves complete diets, but they can be part a well-rounded diet consisting of a good basic flake food, a Spirulina-enriched flake food, and several types of freeze-dried foods.
Almost all of the organisms that are freeze-dried and sold for aquarium use can be found as either living or frozen foods as will be discussed below, but in the freeze-dried form they provide a convenience of storing and feeding that frozen or living foods can not match. Feel free to purchase freeze-dried foods if you are unwilling to devote freezer space to frozen foods or to go through the significant bother of dealing with live foods. "

They've also been de-contaminated, which is a huge plus

Last edited:

ct-death

Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Also, some great info I found very informative from (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_food)

"Fish food should ideally provide the fish with fat (for energy) and amino acids (building blocks of proteins) and the fish food (whether flake or pellet) must be speedily digested in order to prevent build up of intestinal gas, renal failure and infections (such as swim bladder problems and dropsy) and to avoid aquarium pollution due to excessive ammonia. Aquatic diets for carnivores must contain vegetable matter such as spirulina."

Building block ingredients of fish food
  • Fats that are broken down into fatty acids are the main source of energy in fish especially for the heart and skeletal muscles. Fats also assists in vitamin absorption. Vitamins A, D, E and K are fat-soluble or can only be digested, absorbed, and transported in conjunction with fats.
  • Carbohydrates are molecular substances that include sugars, starches, gums and celluloses. Most of the carbohydrates that are incorporated into aquatic diets are of plant origin and are sources of the enzyme amylase. Carbohydrates, however, are not a superior energy source for fish over protein or fat but digestible carbohydrates do spare protein for tissue building. Unlike in mammals, glycogen is not a significant storage depot of energy in fish.
Sources of fish food
  • Fish meal (protein source) have two basic types: (a) those produced from fishery wastes associated with the processing of fish for human consumption (such as salmon and tuna) and (b) those from specific fish (herring, menhaden and pollack) which are harvested solely for the purpose of producing fish meal.
  • Shrimp meal are made from cull shrimp that are being processed before freezing or from whole shrimp that is not of suitable quality for human consumption. The material to be made into shrimp meal is dried (sun-dried or by using a dryer) and then ground. Shrimp meal is a source of pigments that enhances the desirable color in the tissues of fish. It is also a secondary supplemental protein source for fish.
  • Squid meal is made from squid viscera portions from cannery plants including the eggs and testis. Squid Meal is a highly digestible protein source for fish which provides a full range of amino acids, vitamins, minerals and cholesterol (1.0-1.5%) of cholesterol suitable for fish fry and young fish.
  • Brine shrimp (adult Artemia) is a common food source for fish that are available in adult-form, as eggs or freeze-dried. Brine shrimp is a source of protein, carotene (a color enhancer) and acts as a natural laxative in fish digestive systems. Brine shrimps can also supply the fish with vegetable matter due to their consumption of algae.
  • Soybean meal is a high protein source for fish and has become a substitute for traditionally-used marine animal meals.
  • Spirulina is a blue-green plant plankton rich in raw protein, vitamins A1, B1, B2, B6, B12, C and E, beta-carotene, color enhancing pigments, a whole range of minerals, essential fatty acids and eight amino acids required for complete nutrition.
  • Whole wheat (carbohydrates) is not the best source of energy in fish but is an excellent source of roughage for fish such as Goldfish and Koi. It is also a natural source of vitamin E which promotes growth and enhances coloration.

Ajordan

Se?or Member - Get it?
Nov 21, 2006
Massachusetts
this is good stuff to think about... I usually just aim for variety but have thought about things like... my shrimp have exo skeletons and crab pellets have extra calcium or whatever, seems like a good match. I had heard somewhere that some roughage is good so I bought some freeze dried baby tiny shrimp thingys as it seemed like eating shells would qualify as roughage.

The wikipedia info is pretty interesting. Who knew brine shrimp was a laxative (1)

(1) Citation needed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store