Safe to use Super Glue?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

drew81

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
I stepped on an aquarium decoration and it broke directly in half. Very clean break and fixable. The only problem is how to fix it.

it is a 3 piece roman collumn. Is super glue toxic? Ive read yes and no.

please give me some advice thanks

BoredAgain

Cubs in '10
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
Super glue would most likely be very toxic to fish. Just use silicone to fix the piece. I use the DAP brand found at Home Depot or other hardware stores for a couple of bucks.

sundevil_brian

AC Members
Jun 30, 2007
actually supper glue should be safe to use. people with saltwater aquariums use it all the time for mounting corals to rocks, and i have used it to attach plants to driftwood. if you are still a little concerned just let it dry before you put it in the aquarium.

Jhh482

Cichlid Breeder/Cool Guy
Jan 22, 2008
San Diego Area
I wouldn't risk it, get some window and door silicone from GE at Home Depot, works wonders on everything, and it is very likely that you will use it over and over.
Jack

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
As long as that superglue is a cynoacrylate it would be fine in your fish tank, just let it completely dry. As mentioned above many reefers use it in their fish tanks for attaching corals and what not, I've also used it in my fw tank for attaching some plastic parts to the powerhead with absolutely no side effects.

drew81

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
2 yes and 2 no....exactly what i looked up on the internet...haha

thanks guys

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I've used it to glue down coral frags and also to glue terra cotta pot pieces together for caves. Perfectly safe.

Buckdog

Comet with an attitude problem.
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. Inland
The saltwater guys have been using cyanoacrylate (super glue type) for years to attach corals. I'm using some now to build my underwater decorations because it's fast and not toxic when cured. Then I follow up with an epoxy.
If you need strength to hold two large pieces together I would use an epoxy instead of cyano.

Silicone will shrink over time. I had this happen to me late last year when a decoration I built began to fall apart underwater after a about three months. It was aquarium grade silicone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store