Cory newly hatched fry... what to feed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dwarfnut

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
Well, it looks like another batch of Albino Cory eggs has come and gone with no success this time either! It's really getting frustrating as this is the third time in a row!

The deal is that I'm 'harvesting' the eggs once they are laid and fertilized into a net breeder thing and going from there. I usually get quite a few to hatch out, but then they start dying off after a day or so of being free-swimming. It seems to me that they are starving and nothing seems to help, so I want to be prepared for the next go-round! So far I've tried baby brine eggs (fozen-type), baby powered food, liquid baby fry food, brine shrimp tablets, and even the 3-day, slowly disolving feeders, but nothing seems to help!

For the next batch, I'm planning on getting a 2 1/2 gallon tank or similar set up and transfer the eggs to when they are laid. Then if I can figure out the food thing, I should be in business!

So what do newly-hatched baby Cories eat??!!

Thanks,
Bill C.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I don't know if it would work all that well... But I feed newly free swimming Betta fry Sera Micron. Extremely finely powdered food and it is also recommend for Cory Cat fry in a book I have as well.

ziskus

AC Members
Feb 1, 2003
New York City
Visit site
After scraping out the eggs with a razor blade, I transferred them to a 5.5G, I fed my cory fry live Tubifex worms. It worked great for me. The survival rate was close to 80%.

Dwarfnut

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
Getting them to breed was no problem... they just did it! I came down to find lots of eggs scattered all over the sides of the aquarium one day and that was that! They do it about every 6 weeks now! You can tell when they get pretty fat that they are about to spawn. I think one of the kays is to feed them well and my tank is about 79 degrees F. Should be pretty neutral PH, but haven't measured it.

Good luck,
Bill C.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store