And I'm back...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
Well guys, I've been away from the forum for several months. I came home last summer after a week of camp (I'm a youth pastor), and my parents informed me that I had 2 weeks to move all my stuff and do some demo work for a remodel (I live in a rental home on my parents property). I moved back in with my parents while the work was being done, and put my tanks into a spare bedroom at my own house while we were working. Needless to say, since I wasnt in the house there with them, and since the whole place was kind of torn apart around them, the fish didn't cope so well. I lost my betta that was in its own tank, and an ich outbreak took most of the fish in my main tank. Add to that the fact that I am recently married (woo hoo!), and I've been a very busy guy for the last several months!

Anyway, I'm settled back into my house with my new bride, and I'm ready to get back to work with my fishkeeping. I plan on removing the gravel, plastic decor, and fake plants from my 29 gallon and replacing it with black tahitian moon sand, some nice smooth stones, live plants, and maybe some driftwood.

I plan on keeping the fish that I have (see signature) in my 10 gallon while I redecorate the 29 gallon, but I will put them back in the 29 and would definitely like to restock the tank to good capacity once I get it set back up. Any stocking suggestions? Also, can anyone recommend some good low-light plants that are relatively easy to care for (I'm a total plant newbie)?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

~Kswords~

AC Members
Jun 28, 2007
USA
Certainly sounds like a busy lifestyle! congrats and goodluck with picking up on your fishkeeping again!!

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
Question...anybody know how much sand I need for a 29 gallon? I'll probably put it in the 10 gallon too when I'm ready to really decorate it for a new betta. I got one 20 lb bag, but I don't think it will be nearly enough.

Thanks!

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
first- AquaQuartz is a good alternative to Moon sand, as it has a larger grain that sinks quickly and therefore wont get caught up in the filter current. plus it is a fraction of the price. one 50lb bag is about $12 in my area. 50 lbs should be enough for a 1 or 2 inch layer of sand, depending on your preferences.

now for the plants- my ludwiga is acctually doing very well in my 37 gallon (same as 29, just 4 inches taller) and its anemic light.

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
Hmmm...I already have a 20lb bag of the black moon sand. I may just stick with it since I already have some. Do you think that will cause filtration problems? I have a Penguin Bio-wheel 350.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
welcome back'''low light plants?

Anubias,Java fern, java moss, cryptocoryne(there are several colors and sizes)
anacharis(if legal) there are also other similar Elodea that may work. tho they do better with lots of light they can grow in low light.

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
Okay. So from my reading, I am learning that the Black Tahitian Moon Sand is not good for bottom dwellers and burrowers like cories. Is this true? If so, I may put bag of Moon Sand in my 10 gallon where a betta will live (with maybe some cardinals or neons and ghost shrimp), and look for a 50 lb bag of aquaquartz for my 29 gallon. What do you think?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store