ID this Anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
Well at first i thought it was an aptaisia ,but the LFS guy told me it was a rock anemone and it cant be an aptaisia because it FL gulf cultured rock ...Ect,Ect So please tell me...Is it safe to keep it in the tank with corals or not?:confused:

fish 001.jpg

fish 002.jpg

If you cant ID by the photo it characteristics are:It stays close to the rock,it is a light brown color with pale stripes on the tentacles,it eats like crazy.

fish 001.jpg fish 002.jpg

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
The reason i ask is my tank is near the end of its cycling and i want to get a colony of star polyps soon,and was wondering if i should remove it or not.,of course i will move the colony away from the rocks because the spaghetti worms are constantly putting out their tentacles.

WinnipegDragon

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
That might be a Majano. Worse than Aiptasia...

rxdoc_85

AC Members
Mar 9, 2008
st. louis, missouri
it looks like aiptasia to me. definitely get it out of the tank. i had one pop up in my tank, and i took it out with kalkwasser, and it's been gone ever since. just mix some of it with some water, draw it up in a syringe and inject it into the anemone. if you can, take the piece of rock out of the tank and do it over a bucket/bowl with some saltwater/tankwater in it. and after you inject it i'd scrub it pretty dang good with a toothbrush, and be sure to rinse it very good with some of the water from the bucket (little anemone pieces can become new ones....). this is exactly what i did and it worked like a charm.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Here is the very first one I found in my tank. Unfortunately it wasn't the last. And wow, I had forgotten how washed out my pink palys were when I first got them. Just for kicks I'm posting a picture of them now underneath:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Definitely an Aiptasia species. Anemonia cf. "majano" is kinda a loose, polyphyletic group of anemones that kinda look similar. They are pretty distinctive, though.

jmeltzer

AC Members
Aug 1, 2007
Pomona, NY
Definately Aptasia. I had one just like that pop up a few weeks ago. Introduced some peppermint shrimp and no more Aptasia. :headbang2:

apelaston

much more than a hobby to me.
Mar 21, 2008
bradford, ohio
www.myspace.com
i would say that is an excuse to get a peppermint shrimp. JUST IN CASE it is aptasia Can't be too safe right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store