6 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiveOutLoud

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Well I haven't been able to get on for a while because of a virus. But anyway I am on day three of my tank. I rescued a plectostumus (spelling?). A friend of mine's dad got it for her and she refused to put it in her tank because she thinks it is "ugly". He was in a uncycled tank so small he couldn't turn around with about one inch of water. I figured since he was already in a uncylced tank that putting him in mine should be better at least it has a heater and filter. The ammonia is at .25. But anyway on to my questions. This is a 6 gallon tank and I was wondering long term how will he be in my tank. If it comes down to it I know somebody with a 90 gallon who would probably take him. He is at 4 inches right now including the tail. What should I feed him? I put algae wafers in. Thanks

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Do you know what kind of Pleco? Most commons will hit 14-24". Even the smaller sizes such as bristlenose are too small for your tank. I suggest give it to your friend or see if the LFS will take it back.

oscaremmy

Keeper of the Frogdog
Feb 27, 2008
East Central Indiana, USA
Agree with Bob 100% on this one...these are BEAUTIFUL fish (IMO) - how can anyone call them 'ugly?'?????????????

Anyway, even though I do squeeze my fish populations more than some here would do, there is no way I would put that kid into even my 10g tank - a 29g - maybe, but really they need even more than that; they produce a lot of waste, so he would need VERY frequent water changes even if you kept him/her for a few weeks only, just to stay alive. Why not pass him to your pal, if he has the room, so that you can still enjoy his/her during visits, knowing you saved its life!

LiveOutLoud

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
I just googled him and I'm not sure what type he is. He is black with I don't know how to describe it orange leapoard stripes? And the tips of his front fins are orange to. Ya I am going to call him tomorrow and see if he will take it.

Last edited:

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Bob and Emma have it covered. No matter what type he is, he'll be way too big for that tank. If you want to ID him (or just check out some really cool fish) check out www.planetcatfish.com.

LiveOutLoud

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
great site HN I couldn't get a positive id on him though. and some bad news he didn't want to take him because he already has 2 so I either have to keep trying to convince him or take him to a LFS

LiveOutLoud

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
well good news my I convinced my cousin to take him home by tomorrow morning he'll be swimming around in his new 90 gallon home!:)!!!

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
Well now that the pleco is in a good home,on to your suggestions.
What type of tank is it?(rectangle hex,ect)
I have seen some truly stunning shrimp tanks that were under 10 gallons.

LiveOutLoud

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
It's bowfront What fish could I keep in here? i like cories and I want this tank to be low maintenance. Other then that I'm not really sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store