anemone problems yay

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

raja86

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
Florida
now for starters... im a novice at all this.. so hello

i have an anemone.. dont know what kind but that its is a white one :) and it has long tentacles..
as far as his diet goes i feed him shrimp the have from the saltwater store..
i feed him once a week a whole shrimp..
i have two issues:

1. Its has brownish/red spots and blotches developing for the past two weeks now.. all over

2. it poops white gritty chunks - resembling sand

with issue # 1 - ive tested my water many times and it is all at "perfect" levels. the guys at the store never really give me solid answers to what is going on because they are "surprised" that red slim would get on the anemone.. assuming that it is red slim.. and as u can see i am not so good at the describing..

this red "stuff" is also on my anemone crab - although he hasnt be on the anemone since after 3 days of having them.. (ive had the tank for aprx 2 months now..)
with issue #2.. i have searched "white poop" from the anemone to no avail..
no idea if its normal or not

i apologize if my ignorance to terms or names and such.. im still learning

i would very much appreciate and advice or guidance
thanks!

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
How long have you had the anemone? What kind of lighting do you have? Are the spots "removable" like red slime that can be scraped off of the tank or are they part of his coloring now...like a rash? Can you tell more about the tank? How long have you had it? What kind of equipment you are running? What water parameters did you check? Any details may be helpful.

raja86

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
Florida
the anemone was one of my first.. so approx 2 months now
i have the 12 gallon bio cube, supposedly best lighting there is..
im ridiculously new at this and i dunno how to post a pic.. :)
aahh..?

its like a rash.. the red stuff on the crab seem scratch-able.. im assuming its a related problem..

according to what the guys at the store say it sound like him wedging himself is just him pooping however... he does it al lot.. few times a week.. and as he's stretched out.. i can see through him and it seems like hes backed up.. with the white stuff it seem like..

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
I think that anemones require lots of "flow" (water movement) and very high light output...I hope someone here will correct me if I'm wrong. Do you know what type of lighting came with your equipment and what it putting out? For example, I have T5 HOs with 2 10,000 bulbs and 2 actinics.

raja86

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
Florida
i say it seems al lot - im sorry its late

heres what i have in my tank:
maroon clown (the child)
the anemone of course..
anemone crab
pom pom crab (who laid eggs)
7ish cleaner crabs
same for snails..
gregonian coral..
small black urchan
mushroom coral.. (both very small right now)
and a cluster of small purple dusters

raja86

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
Florida
its the AquaPod Nano Aquarium .. 12 gallon.. all it says with the paperwork that came with it.. "closest thing theyve come to replicating natural sunlight" thats what a friend told me..

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
Yikes. I'm not sure if this info is needed for your question but it will definitely be needed at some point. There should be the name of the brand of light available somewhere as well as it's output. "alot" doesn't say much with the flow either. Your powerheads have a "gph" rating on them. If we could know brand and "gph" moving through the tank it would help quantify "alot". It may not be relevant to this question (I'm new, I don't know) but certainly you'll have questions later and this is stuff you'll need to know.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Photos would help a bunch, otherwise we're guessing.

The white 'poop' could be undigested food. Anemone poo I've seen has always been brown and string like.

The color on the crab could be coraline, it could be changing it's shell to have red patterns...

I'm more wary of the anemone being white than it gaining some brown spots. Most anemones you find in the hobby aren't white unless they are bleached due to illness. Not bleached as in someone used household bleach on them, but rather they have lost the symbiotic zoo in them causing them to lose their 'pigment'. That is an over simplified explanation but you should be able to find lots of info on it through a web search.

We can try to help more but questions like your lighting specifics and water parameters would help along with any photos you can provide.

Now for what you didn't ask....:)

A 12g isn't big enough for an anemone in my opinion, and it is highly recommended that they aren't added to a tank until it has matured 6-12 months. The other bonus of waiting this long is it gives the new reefkeeper (I've only been at this a year myself) a chance to learn more about tank husbandry and be able to 'read' their tank and know how to keep it stable. Anemones are very sensitive creatures and don't tolerate water that isn't well kept. Not saying your water isn't well kept..just making a general point.

The other thing...I'm guessing the store didn't tell you big that maroon clown will get? 6-7 inches wouldn't be unheard of and with them being one of the most aggressive clowns added to them being in such a small environment with an anemone they have claimed as their host...I'd not want to be anything else in the tank that even looked at it sideways once it reaches adulthood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store