For those that own Tankbusters...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ray of Sunhine

AC Members
Dec 9, 2002
Atlanta, GA.
Visit site
I need to temporarily hold pacus(5in) in a 180 acrylic tank for a year or less. I was told that would be just enough time before they are too large. Now I was considering using cork bark covered with thick willow moss(looks like moss carpet) on the entire back and sides.Tank could only be viewed from front. I am wondering if this would help against the occassional thump into the tank(from pacu) and help keep the tank together long enough.

Last edited:

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
You will not have a problem with these fish "busting" the acrylic. Acrylic is considerably stronger than glass.

BigOh

African Rift Lake or bust
Aug 28, 2001
NY, USA
www.african.uklinux.net
Out of pure curiosity .... are fish like Pacu .. etc... known to actually Bust a tank ... or is that more of a figurative expression?

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
While not common I have read accounts of large fish (pacu, big cichlids, ect) cracking glass tanks.

BigOh

African Rift Lake or bust
Aug 28, 2001
NY, USA
www.african.uklinux.net
Must be one heck of a fish. Most glass on larger tanks is pretty thick.

Honestly, if I came home to a cracked tank (heaven forbid), I'd sooner attribute the busted tank to a pressure point or something like that.

Fortunately I don't keep anything quite that big .... 6-8" is max for me .... ;)

Ray of Sunhine

AC Members
Dec 9, 2002
Atlanta, GA.
Visit site
Unfortunately, I got the fish by accident. Luckily for me they are red belly pacu & not the black they are even bigger. Once I had the true name of the the fish I actually have, I read a lot. I think the best description of the fish is " a dinner plate sized, jumbo neon tetra with a big grin." They are notorious for destroying heaters, filters, etc... Every so often when I hear the loud thump, I say a quick prayer...that tank holds until, I can get the new home. Oh yeah BigOh, Mojo has one named Brutus, it is in a pond take a look at his page.

Last edited:

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
unfortunately to tell you guys i have 2 pacus in a 55g, they have broken 1 tank already, it was a 55g also, im trying to get rid of them so if any1 wants them their very welcome to have them, im in the CA bay area, they are about 7" and smash every thing in the tank consistentely, so yes pacus break tanks, and it is very annoying to sleep at night.

JacksontoKobe

AC Members
Feb 18, 2002
Belgrade, MT
Sorry to tell you but glass on a 55 is the same as a 10 when you have bigger than a 55 you generally have thicker tempered glass pacus or most aquarium fish arent breaking it period if you have a tank with any quality.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
JACKSONTOKOBE: you have obviously never owner pacus before cause they will break anything and everything.

SoulkeepeR

Social Lurker
Mar 15, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
O I'm pretty sure a pucu could break a 55 gallon, my oscars alone once broke a really nice heater in two, and they have also knocked the hood WITH LIGHT right off the tank and on to the floor once also.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store