Thinking of Changing Tank to a More Natural Look

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

animalrie

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Right now, I have a very unnatural looking tank. (You know, the one with the blue gravel and plastic decorations.) I was hoping to make it look more realistic or natural by taking out the gravel and adding sand or pebbles. I also wanted to make it into a planted tank.

Right now, my lighting is two 25 watt bulbs, so I don't know if this is enough for plants and I don't really want to spend any more money on lighting. Also, do I need a CO2 system?

When I change the gravel, do I need to move my fish into a quarantene tank?

Thanks!

animalrie

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
If I took water from the tank into another ten gallon tank would I be able to keep all of my fish in there until the cycle is over? Also, still all of those plant questions plus...I have apple snails, should I get rid of these before I get plants?

Jun 25, 2007
The water doesn't hold much bacteria, but the fish might like not having to completely adjust to new water parameters.

If you take a couple handfuls of the old blue gravel, don't wash them off, and put them in a nylon stocking, then put that in the new tank, it will help the bacteria extablish themselves in the new tank.

Jun 25, 2007
Re: live plants. If you have an incandescent hood, you might be able to replace the incandescent lights with compact fluorescent, which should be sufficient for plants.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
You could use low-light plants with success; anacharis, water sprite, java moss, hygrophilia (plant across substrate instead of upwards, it's a beast!); maybe some small crypts.

BoredAgain

Cubs in '10
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store