Gold Sucking Cat aka Chinese Algae Eater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rox

Registered Member
Jan 24, 2007
Hi, I was sold a small 2cm (<1") gold sucking cat as a good bottom dweller for my 15 gal tropical tank, with assurances from my LFS that it won't get too big for my tank.

Well, further research on the net, comparing photos, etc and I think what I have is a Gyrinochelilus aymonieri, ie is a Chinese Algae Eater. Judging from what I've read this little cutie is going to grow into an aggressive giant bully.

After about 9 months he is now 8cm (>3") and seems quite at home in the tank. He defers to the bristlenose (approx 6cm) over the algae wafer and is quite busy when the lights are off cleaning everything (well cleaning might be a little strong) but he seems happy & busy.

My question is, has anyone kept these long enough to advise what age/size they are when they start to get aggressive and a comparison between size and age. I'm a bit reluctant to get rid of him until he starts to be a problem, as he is the life (&colour) of the tank, named Snitch after the small golden ball in Harry Potter.

Thanks

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I've kept 6 of them before. After reaching a year and almost 5 inches, they started sucking off slime coats of other fish. I wouldn't be too hesitant to remove the fish. It will eventually change as it matures. Juvenile CAE's aren't a problem in community setups. Adults, on the other hand, are.

Rox

Registered Member
Jan 24, 2007
Thanks for the feedback. It is helpful information. Now I will need to find a peaceful, colourful, bottom dweller replacement who won't outgrow my tank or terrorise its tank companions.

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
If you are looking for an algae eating fish, otocinclus are nice, peaceful and stay rather small. They are not general bottom feeders but are definitely good algae eaters. The problem people have who keep them is that they are algae eaters, when there is no algae they seem to go hungry rather than switch foods. This means that feeding them when your algae is gone can be a bit of a problem. I supplement mine with algae wafers but they don't like it near as well as if they can find some algae. With only 2 otos and having started with a totally algae covered 10 gallon, I am having to feed them algae wafers because after the first month there was very little algae left for them to eat. I have been considering moving this pair from tank to tank to give them good eating again. My other tanks each have some algae build up even though I keep it scraped off the front glass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store