Kind of a weird situation...fish fell on the floor. Need some advice kind of quickly!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
I bought 8 Harlequin Rasboras yesterday and during acclimation and introducing them to the tank...a couple of them jumped from the water and landed on the carpet. Now, one of them I was able to recover and get him back in the water fairly quickly (within a couple of seconds), but the other one flopped away from me and seemed to be dead. I put him back in the water, and within a few seconds he was revived and swimming around.

Now, when I put them in the main tank, they all looked fine and dandy. Today, they are all bahaving normally, but one of them looks like he has a thin white film on him, and I assume that it is the one that got away from me on the carpet. He is acting normally like all of the others, schooling normally and eating normally. All other 7 Harlies...including the first one that fell on the floor, look completely healthy and normal. My question is...should I quarantine him? I don't have a quarantine tank set up, but I do have a spare 2 gallon that I can set up. The issue is that it will not be cycled...

What should I do? Should I leave him in the main tank and just keep an eye on him while keeping the water pristine, or should I not take the chance that he could spread whatever he has to the other tank inhabitants and put him in an uncycled quarantine tank? I mean, I did put a piece of slate that was in the main tank into the quarantine tank as well as tank water from the main tank in an effort to kickstart a cycle...but I doubt that it's substantial enough.

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks.

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
I've never run into that situation so I'm shooting in the dark. My guess is that his slime coat was affected by partially drying it out and may have even been rubbed off in places. This has left him more open to anything in your water that might have otherwise not been a problem. I would watch him rather than put an unprotected fish in an uncycled tank. This is just my gut reaction an not a real suggestion.

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
He was only the floor for maybe 30 seconds. Perhaps 45. I figured it might be something gone awry with his slime coat.

Is there anything I can do to bolster the rejuvenation of his slime coat? Will it return to normal over time? One of his eyes is also scratched up...but I assume that was my doing when handling him between the floor and the tank.

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
he should turn out to be fine.

ive had a fish jump out of the tank during feeding while i was out of the room and lay on the floor for about 15 minutes and everything turn out fine.
That's great news, and exactly what I wanted to hear! Did you do anything in particular to treat his issues? Did he have the same white-ish film over his body? About how long did it take for him to recover?

bkgodfrey

AC Members
Jun 3, 2007
You could get some Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API) Stress Coat and add that, it's a dechlorinator and has aloe vera, helps replace the slime coat on fish. Perhaps this will help? It comes in a white, blue and orange bottle and can be found at any chain pet store or LFS.

Jun 25, 2007
IMHO, it's best to leave the fish alone and see if there is an improvement over the next few days.

I personally wouldn't use an additive like Stress Coat. It's possible that the whitish film you're seeing is a thickened slime coat -- the fish got irritated on the floor, so its slime coat is thicker where the irritation was, which looks like a film on the fish.

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Alright. Thanks everyone! I'll leave him in the tank for a few days and see if he improves. I'll do a water change in a couple days. I did one this morning.

Let's hope for the best! :)

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Yikes...just in the last couple of hours, his eye has gotten worse. It's getting a white cottony-type look to it. Doesn't look good...

Fungus? If fungus, can it spread to others? Is there anything I can do immediately, like raise the temp. of the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store