Sequence ReeFlo Standard vs Gold Series?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rascole

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Bellflower, CA
www.randytalsma.com
Can anyone explain to me the difference between the Sequence ReeFlo standard and Gold series pumps? I am looking to get the Hammerhead but after some shopping I see that there is a Gold series line from ReeFlo. Huge price difference. Quietness is priority one then efficiency.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Can you provide a link? I am not familiar with the gold series--they may be more pressure rated than some of the other pumps.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Nevermind. I found the answer on Reeflo's website:
ReeFlo GOLD Premium Pumps

More Flow...More Pressure
Lower Watt Draw

Hope that answers your question. Unless you need/tank can handle the extra flow and pressure, I'd just stick with the normal series.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I know. I can't find enough specs, etc. on them, either. I'd just stick with the Reeflo standard series. Any of those pumps should be more than enough to handle your flow needs and they are quiet (same goes for the skimmers that use them). I wouldn't imagine the gold series are necessarily more geared toward quietness vs. performance, either. Is this for a closed loop?

rascole

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Bellflower, CA
www.randytalsma.com
I will be using the pump for sump return. I have a 200 gal. sump w/200 lbs of LR and a ASM G6 skimmer. The total flow through the sump/filter will be from the pump. I was going to go with a CL but a friend talked me into going with 4 Koralia #4s instead. It cost the same for initial cost but the Koralias put out way more flow and use less elec. than a CL pump.
I finally got an answer from Sequence on the difference between the standard and Gold series pumps. Looks like I'm going to buy the Gold and save some money down the road.

From: sales@reeflopumps.com [mailto:sales@reeflopumps.com]
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 5:54 AM
To: Talsma, Randall
Subject: Re: Standard vs Gold Series.

Randall,
Many of customers put together systems that make it difficult to replace the pump and they requested that we come up with pumps that will last longer. Motors that last longer do so by running more efficiently resulting in cooler, quieter operation in addition to lower power consumption. So we introduced a new motor to the Hammerhead and barracuda pumps. It is made by Marathon motors in Wisconsin. We also found that the motor maintains the RPM's at higher loads (system pressure) and thus it produces a bit more flow. In the case of the Hammerhead we were able to use a smaller impeller. This did cut down on the top end (5500gph vs. 5800gph), but it reduced watt consumption from a 340 average down to 272 watts!...the GOLD series carries a 5 year replacement warranty vs. the 3 years for the regular Hammerhead. Hope this helped
Chris

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, there you have it from the horse's mouth... If that is true, seems like a better option after all. I just wish I could give you a personal experience with the gold series, but I am only familiar with the regular ones.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
With all the people bumping ancient threads I thought this was going to be another one of those.. but it wasn't. ;)

Thanks for posting an update 16 months later letting us know how it is still working for you. That is good info because some pumps do get very loud with age and people don't usually post that type of info for others to read. It is good to hear first hand that the one you bought isn't one of those "noisy after 12 months" brand pumps.

rascole

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Bellflower, CA
www.randytalsma.com
Almost works to an advantage with having to valve back.
I have 3 seperate return lines that I adjust differently on a weekly basis to creat different flow paterns in the tank. Not nearly as bad as I thought it would the first few months, but now I have it dialed in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store