Goldfish Sick, Floating, Need Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pharasalia

Minion of Aquarius
Feb 9, 2007
Fort Myers, FL
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Melisa
Hello,

I need some advice and help with my goldfish. I have 4 goldfish (3 orandas and 1 ryukin) in a 40g hex. They have been in this tank for 3 months and are going to be going into a 120 gallon within the next 3 months when I move to a larger apartment.

They have been doing great. Then yesterday, I notice one of the orandas has developed what appeared to be a case of bad swim bladder which isn't unusual. I gave them some lettuce for roughage / fresh food as that seems to help when they show swim bladder symptoms. The fish was staying at the surface and when it would swim down into the water, if it wasn't deliberately trying to swim it would bob back to the surface. She seemed okay otherwise. Sometimes while at the surface she would roll to her side a bit.

It was the same this morning. But since I have come home from work, she seems pooped out and is staying at the surface, on her side, not moving apart from her mouth, tail hanging sort of limply. She is alive and her mouth/gills are moving like they do, but she isn't moving the rest of her body. I have looked at her very closely and her fins have a sort of wilted look to the very tips. She is a white fish and her fins are mostly clear white, the wilted looking area at the very edges looks milky and maybe a bit slimy.

What can I do? Is there something I should treat the water with? Please help, I'm very attached to her and want to do everything I can. She's my favorite fish. =/

The water has had a partial water change. The other fish are acting absolutely normal and fine.

~Kswords~

AC Members
Jun 28, 2007
USA
Have you tested your water parameters lately? If so could you post those?
How long has your tank been setup? (was it cycled)

Have you tried feeding peas or daphnia for the swim bladder situation?
Also is it possible for the other goldfish to be nipping at her fins at all? since you say she is not swimming really.

pharasalia

Minion of Aquarius
Feb 9, 2007
Fort Myers, FL
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Melisa
I have not tested recently. I will. Yes, it is entirely possible the other goldfish might have nipped her fins. I had thought about that. I have fed some lettuce, I don't have peas or Daphnia. I have some moss/algae growing wild in another tank I usually throw in for the goldfish when it needs cut back. I can throw some of that in.

pharasalia

Minion of Aquarius
Feb 9, 2007
Fort Myers, FL
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Melisa
Back again, it does appear that she has been nipped twice at least since I have been home although I did not see any fish in the act of doing so. She has a red spot on one fin and another by the base of her tail that looks like a bite. These were not here a bit ago. However, she has started moving more, even swimming some and being more upright. The temp on the tank is up a bit since the water change I did earlier... its hard to have enough cool water.

Oh and to answer your question about the tank, yes it was cycled and is not a new tank.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
The peas are important because they form a solid log that physically pushes the air out of the g.i. tract. If you haven't already, I suggest switching to a gel or paste type food as that can do wonders for fish with floating issues. Either way, I would feed peas and shrimp exclusively for a few days to ensure the air is out of your fish's system, and change the diet, as sbd is commonly caused by our fancies inability to process many of the wheat and grain based fillers in cheaper food. I would go with a hikari or NLS sinking goldfish pellet (even though this is still no guarantee that the fish won't float). Paste food is simply pellet food that has been blended to a powder, reconstituted into a dough with some raw egg, crumbled and fed to the fish. Seems like a lot of work, but the food can be ground beforehand, and small batches of dough mixed up on a weekly basis. You can also add all manner of freeze dried food or algae pellets to the blender when creating your powder. Gel food info can be found at the following link.

http://dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/Food.html

pharasalia

Minion of Aquarius
Feb 9, 2007
Fort Myers, FL
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Melisa
I have been feeding Omega One goldfish flakes as the majority of the food but also some live or fresh plants from my other tank or lettuce or bits of apple. I'll get some peas asap. She is still having plenty of troubles, but is better than she was. At least she is staying much more upright just under the surface of the water instead of laying limply on her side. She is also moving her fins and even swimming a bit. Perhaps she just got really exhausted from trying to swim downward or fighting the current of the filter when she has too much air to go where she wants to go... then got nipped a few times because she was lying like a dead fish. Its a theory anyway.

I just finished the testing.

Ph 6.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates <5 - a hair lighter than the 5.0 color on my comparison card.

I did not test prior to the water change I did earlier, so perhaps the nitrates had gotten too high. Should I let her rest or should I do another water change right away?

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Look very carefully at the fins you might be dealing with a bacterial infection of the fish. Slimy looking tips and red marks are a big sign. Bacterial infections can wreck havoc on the fishes ability to maintain buoyancy.

You might want to consider treating with an antibiotic like marycin, ampicillin or tetracycline.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I'm not familiar with omega one quality wise, but flakes are never a good look for goldfish. There's ample opportunity for them to ingest air while feeding on them, and in terms of nutrition, vitamins and minerals begin leaching out as soon as the flakes hit the water. I would definitely switch to pellets at the very least. Also, if you are able, it would be a good idea to quarantine her, salt her tank to .3% concentration (1 tablespoon per gallon-ish), and treat with melafix for the time being. The pH of your tank is also on the low end of a goldfish's comfort level. They do best around 7.6 to 8.0, so it might be a good idea to buffer with crushed coral in the filter, and baking soda in water change water (if necessary).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store