220 gal discuss tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mike.murf1999

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
wisconsin
I'm looking to set up a 220 gal tank and was thinking about stocking it with a few of the different discuss and maybe one or two ther species. Can anyone give me some idea about how many pairs I might be able to put in a tank that size? Also what if any other species would do well with the discuss. I have been told Ph parameters are a little out of the norm for discuss.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
You can put about 10-15 discus for that size of tank. There are about 3-4 species that exist although most of the time, what you get is the Symphysodon aequifasciatus. If you are talking about the color variations created in the hobby over several years, they do not separate the discus as different species. They're still the same species, just different in coloration.

You could try the ridiculously expensive Pterophyllum altum, cardinal tetras, Corydoras sterbai, rummy-nose tetras, Pterophyllum scalare and a few species of plecos that are tolerant of the temperature the discus require. Research before you buy, of course.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
good advice from lupin

yes 10-15 discus should be fine..they are schooling fish.
P Altum rediculously expensive??
compared to what? ;)

You will pay high $$ for Altum but they seem to pair well with Discus. PScalare are also ok with Discus. keep in mind tho that you will need to watch them as the Angels tend to be a bit more aggressive..but it's relative.

other fish that work Cardinal tetras and Black Neon

I like the BN's for tank mates.
you do have to check the tank mates and make sure the discus don't see them as food and the tank mates tolerate the temps discus are kept at.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
You could easily keep 15-20 discus in that tank. Good choices of tankmates are most tetras, so a large group of 2 species would look nice, as well as a large school of corys (trilli, albino, sterbai), a pleco or two for helping clean the glass. Try to decide what other fish you like and then let us know what you're thinking. With a larger tank you have more options on adding small fish. Also, what is your ph, you mentioned that you were told it's a little out of the norm?

mike.murf1999

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
wisconsin
Sorry, i was told that the PH for discuss was a little out of the norm from other species of fresh water tropicals.

I was thinking three or four pairs of different color variations, (i thought each color was a different species, but you guys let me know they aren't), a couple of the smaller variety plecs. I've seen a few species that stay around 6 inches or so. Maybe a 5 or 6 corys. If the different tetras will go well with the discuss, I really like the black skirts and the cardinals.

Most LFS in my area that even carry discus sell them as pairs. I was thinking of going that route rather than buying several and waiting to see which ones pair and which ones don't. What do you guys think?

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
be careful when you get 'pairs' it isnt uncommon for 2 fish to be thrown together and called a pair. IMO unless you see eggs and/or fry when you buy the fish (and if they have fry wait until fry are old enough to be weaned to get the parents) I wouldnt get them.

mike.murf1999

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
wisconsin
be careful when you get 'pairs' it isnt uncommon for 2 fish to be thrown together and called a pair. IMO unless you see eggs and/or fry when you buy the fish (and if they have fry wait until fry are old enough to be weaned to get the parents) I wouldnt get them.

Thanks for that info, I didn't even think about that.

mike.murf1999

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
wisconsin
All it took was setting up the 55 we have and my wife really started to like having a tank. In fact she made me get the 29 for our bedroom and she was the one who picked out the 220 gal. I would have been happy with a 75, but she insisted. LOL the hard part was reinforcing the floor to take all the weight, but even that part wasn't tath bad.

discus nut

AC Members
Feb 18, 2008
Ill.-Wi. border
no doubt just because someone throws a couple of 4-5" discus together and labels them with a high 200-500.00 or more price tag on them does not mean that they will pair off and lay eggs together.You must remember the water conditions have to be fairly stable all the time along with a lot of water changes on a weekly basis minimum.Temperature must be kept at or near 84-86 degrees.The water you change with must be at the same or very close temp.You will definetly need at least one or two hospital tanks (20 gal.+=) kept at the same water conditions.New fish should be quarintined for at least three weeks before putting them into the main tanks.I recently made a big rookie mistake with some of mine,i knew better but panicked and didnt think quick enough,then it was too late.I picked up three small 2.5"nice solid yellow discus and one real neat white eyed 2.5" that i think would have looked like the snow whites.I got them home, acclimated them and put them directly into the quarintine tank.A bit later i noticed them having what i thought was an adverse reaction to the new tank.I took them out and put them into one of my main 55's that had three discus in it.A couple of real nice checkerboards and an unknown cobalt of some sort.short story,i lost 5 of them a little over 10 days ago.The sole survivor was the cobalt and it is just about to go back to his tank after treatment.So now i have to get some more small guys to keep him or her company.Not to steer you away from discus at all,just have to get into a schedule with them and if kept up it's really less work and worry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store