Tire Track or Fire Eel in Oscar Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ScottyNorq

AC Members
Jul 19, 2007
Can I put an Eel in my 72 gallon Oscar tank?

Sarge_857

Iam the one under your bed. BOO
Mar 18, 2008
Saline, MI AKA craphole USA
i would think the oscars would eat em.

Carp37

Catfish and Cichlid lover
Jul 11, 2007
Aughton, UK
Tyre Track/Fire eels need A1 water quality. Oscars are messy. For that reason I'd advise against it...

Sarge_857

Iam the one under your bed. BOO
Mar 18, 2008
Saline, MI AKA craphole USA
Tyre Track/Fire eels need A1 water quality. Oscars are messy. For that reason I'd advise against it...
that too:idea:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Also I would put this in the Cichlid forum or eel forum. Not really a Catfish Que

The subject is the eel, not the oscar itself. I moved it here from General Freshwater. Furthermore, this section is not for catfish only but to all freshwater bottom dwellers. No worries. We will work on redefining this section hopefully this month.

As far as compatibility is concerned, eels are not to be mixed with oscars. Bichirs can but be prepared to isolate them depending on the species tried as oscars might do serious damage leading to the bichir's demise.

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
Don't fire eels get to be 2' long anyway? If I'm not mistaken, tire track eels get to be a good 18" themselves... and assuming that the 72 is a bowfront... I'd say not enough footprint, even if the oscar was not in the tank.

Unrelated, but DANG Lupin, that Scobinancistrus aureatus is one looker of a fish! I can only imagine how many zeros must be in its price tag...

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Don't fire eels get to be 2' long anyway? If I'm not mistaken, tire track eels get to be a good 18" themselves... and assuming that the 72 is a bowfront... I'd say not enough footprint, even if the oscar was not in the tank.

Unrelated, but DANG Lupin, that Scobinancistrus aureatus is one looker of a fish! I can only imagine how many zeros must be in its price tag...
3 feet is max size, Gatotsu. They're pretty strong in appearance as well.;) Tire track eels are mostly 2 feet.

Fish in my avatar is not mine. Credit goes to whomever the photo is from.:) I simply put it there because of my obsession towards plecos.:D

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
3 feet is max size, Gatotsu. They're pretty strong in appearance as well.;) Tire track eels are mostly 2 feet.

Fish in my avatar is not mine. Credit goes to whomever the photo is from.:) I simply put it there because of my obsession towards plecos.:D
At 3' long, DEFINITELY too large to fit into a 72g bowfront... even if they are flexible. Besides which, that tank really is going to be near if not at its stocking limit when the oscar hits its adult size.

Well, if I could find one like that for a decent price, I'd be absolutely obsessed with them too. (that or one of the pseudo zebra's, since the real ones are $$$ and relatively rare in the wild)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store