DIY CO2 recipe for 20oz bottles

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
I want to set up a small DIY CO2 generator. I have everything readily available minus the 2 liter bottle. I do however have plenty of 20oz soda bottles on hand. What is the recipe to use for the 20oz bottles?

Thx

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
one more thing...i suppose this is just regular yeast correct? we have both fleischmann's and red star in the cabinet.

apelaston

much more than a hobby to me.
Mar 21, 2008
bradford, ohio
www.myspace.com
glad u posted this because i was curious as well for i have plenty of 20oz and no 2liters...not that a 98 cent two liter would be hard to go buy lol i just dont wanna...i already have the ingredients..thanks

good luck with yours i am going to try this out in a few days when i get the rest of my plants

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Ok....two quick DUH questions. Since I am new to the DIY method.....

1) Bottle placement? Does it matter where it is put as far as on the same stand or higher, lower, etc and distance from the tank?

2) Don't laugh please...but I recon that as soon as no more bubbles are appearing, the mix is dead? Do you clean out the entire bottle at that time or just add more yeast?

Thx

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Ok....two quick DUH questions. Since I am new to the DIY method.....

1) Bottle placement? Does it matter where it is put as far as on the same stand or higher, lower, etc and distance from the tank?

2) Don't laugh please...but I recon that as soon as no more bubbles are appearing, the mix is dead? Do you clean out the entire bottle at that time or just add more yeast?

Thx
you can have it below or above the tank or even at the same height..
One thing to make sure is that you are using a check valve, the last thing you want is your fish swimming in a tank full of yeast..

Once theres no more bubbles get rid of the mix, wash out the bottle and start over. Best thing to do is to have a 2nd 20oz bottle ready 2-3 days before.. so all you do is switch up and theres no drop of co2/pH.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store