I think my Kribs are breeding!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dilhcic

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
Well after about 4 weeks together i think my kribs are up to something!

The female is spending 85% of her time in a cave formed by some rocks and sheltered by plants. The male tends to hang around the area of the cave..if any of my barbs or bristlenose catfish gets really close to the cave he chases them away. Sometimes the male takes over in the cave and the female comes out and grazes for food, then returns to the cave. No sign of fry yet..this behavior has been going on for 2 days now. So maybe shes protecting some eggs?

So what do you think..good signs they are breeding?

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
From my experience, the females usually disappears protecting and fanning the eggs... After a couple of days, you will notice the female comes out, with a whole bunch of wrigglers :) (Although not too far from the cave)...

Anyways, if the male isn't attacking the female when it comes out of the cave, it is most likely that the pair have spawned.

They can be aggressive when protecting eggs, and more likely to get more aggressive as the babies become wrigglers, and more so, after they start to become free-swimming... So as the frys get older, the parents will become more aggressive towards the other inhabitants in order to protect the frys. I would suggest to have another tank ready for the other tankmates if the pair is giving them a really hard time.

dilhcic

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
I came home today and my male krib was taking refuge at the smallish gap between the top of the filter and the surface...i think the female is giving him a hard time. The female is still lurking around the cave and frequently returns to the cave. Its to hard for me to see if there are any eggs that she is guarding without moving rocks, which i don't want to do obviously. Is this normal behavior for the female to bully the male during spawning?

If they are spawning this will be their first time btw.

thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store