Huh? I have a toadlet?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AndiPants

AC Members
May 25, 2007
Canada
So I was about to do a cleaning on my FBT tank (that I just finished remodeling a few weeks ago), and I noticed a little tadpole swimming around! :eek3:I've had these toads for years, and this is the first little one I have ever seen. I have no clue where they layed the eggs...
There was only one that I could see, so I fished him out and set him up in a 10 gal. Gave him a bit of crushed flake food and he went nuts over it.
Is there anything else I should be doing? What are the chances that I will find any more (I read they lay anywhere from 40-100 eggs, but they get eaten quickly)? How big will the tadpole be when it metamorphisizes?
Nature is full of surprises :)

IMG_0698.JPG

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Whoa! Congratulations, I've been trying to breed my toads forever and they still won't lay eggs, even though they always "get happy". How big of a tank do you have them in and about how many gallons of water is there in the water side? How many FBTs do you have in your enclosure?

I don't think the adults would eat the babies because FBTs can't eat underwater, unless if you have something else in the tank. My guess is that he will be an inch or an inch and a half (With tail) when he crawls out of the water. When he becomes a young toad and crawls out of the water, you should put him in his own tank or else he will get eaten.

I hope your little tadpole can get to become an adult.

P.S. Can we see pictures of the adult's vivarium and the tadpole's aquarium?

AndiPants

AC Members
May 25, 2007
Canada
Haha, this little one was completely unexpected. Mine are like yours, always going at it, but never laying eggs. I don't know why they just decided to reproduce now, maybe new/better set up?
Or I was thinking that I may have unintentionally instigated it because when I redid their tank, I housed them temporarily in a 10 gal on the other side of the room (which is farther away from the heater), so they probably had a slightly cooler period. So when I moved them back over, and got a better light that gives off a bit more warmth with a better top to keep this heat in, the overall temperature would have increased. Who knows, or maybe now was just a good time.
I have 3 toads (1 male, 2 female- and of these two females, one is a red and the other is a yellow) and they are in a 20 gal tank. There is probably a bit less than 5 gallons of water in all, its about 4 1/2 inches.
I'll get some pictures up soon!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
That's awesome! It's a great feeling when you get your animals to breed in captivity. It usually means you're doing something right!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Haha, this little one was completely unexpected. Mine are like yours, always going at it, but never laying eggs. I don't know why they just decided to reproduce now, maybe new/better set up?
Or I was thinking that I may have unintentionally instigated it because when I redid their tank, I housed them temporarily in a 10 gal on the other side of the room (which is farther away from the heater), so they probably had a slightly cooler period. So when I moved them back over, and got a better light that gives off a bit more warmth with a better top to keep this heat in, the overall temperature would have increased. Who knows, or maybe now was just a good time.
I have 3 toads (1 male, 2 female- and of these two females, one is a red and the other is a yellow) and they are in a 20 gal tank. There is probably a bit less than 5 gallons of water in all, its about 4 1/2 inches.
I'll get some pictures up soon!
I did the exact same thing as you yesterday! I moved their tank to a place in my room closer to the door of my room, (I keep my room a little cooler) and I out vinyl on the cover to trap more heat and moisture in. I also have 2 females and 1 male in a 20 gallon tank. Maybe my toads willl lay eggs too! :headbang2:

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
I believe thats a fish not a tadpole
:iagree:

You can see a fin sticking out to the left, and the whole body is fleshed, with the internal organs/what have you going to length of a body. Every tadpole I've seen has had little to no flesh on their tail, and just used it to swim. It should wag back and forth when it swims, and shouldn't be rigid.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
The "fin" is probably a trail of poo that stuck out at the time that the photo was taken and about the tail, when a tadpole rests, the tail looks like it is rigid but in fact it is very soft. And all tadpoles have alot of flesh on their tail, how do you think it moves? ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store