Black Ich/ Tang Disease??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mermaiden143

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
mars
There is some black stuff that seemed to possibly have gotten in my tank from a yellow lab i bought 2 weeks ago, now it is currently on 4 fish and from what i can find online, it seems to be some sort of parasite...has anyone ever dealt with this b4? How would you handle this? i have another tank that they could be transferred into, but i dont want to infect the fish currently residing in the smaller tank...hmmmm, what are my options?

terror spawnin

AC Members
Jun 2, 2007
There is some black stuff that seemed to possibly have gotten in my tank from a yellow lab i bought 2 weeks ago, now it is currently on 4 fish and from what i can find online, it seems to be some sort of parasite...has anyone ever dealt with this b4? How would you handle this? i have another tank that they could be transferred into, but i dont want to infect the fish currently residing in the smaller tank...hmmmm, what are my options?
Is it possible to take a pic of the black stuff?

Mermaiden143

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
mars
originally i thought it was a color spot, but now it seems to be on several other fish, afraid that they aren't all growing these new color spots :/

terror spawnin

AC Members
Jun 2, 2007
Actually they are color spots! Most call them "egg spots"
It is very typical for most african lake cichlids to get even weirder color spots than that.
Plus black ick is a problem in salt water life. particularly with tangs.
You can relax, your fish are just fine.

Last edited:

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I would tend to agree. I'm not an expert in fish disease, but I have not heard of a black parasite or fungus on freshwater fish. Are they circular spots? Do they extend from the fish? Spots should look like part of the body, generally in a cluster formation, much like some eggs would.

Mermaiden143

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
mars
the yellow lab that seemed to have this and acquire more after i added him to the tank has some on his face, but the other 3 have them on the back half of their body...idk, just didn't seem right that they didn't have much of this and then when i got back from vacation three had it rather than one...but egg spots would be a wonderful thing so i wouldn't have to worry...

Mermaiden143

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
mars
yea, looking at the images of egg spots i found, this black stuff looks much more similar to 'black ich'. it is not on simply the fin, that is only on the venustus has a prominant spot in his bottom fin, everyone else has it all on their bodies....

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
More sharp pics would help; its not unusual for Africans to pick up some black colouration particularly when stressed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store