It's time to play place that plant!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alym

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
I went to a friend's house who had a bunch of plants in his aquarium. He gave me a lot of the extra plants that he had. I'd like to start aquascaping but wanted to know the best places to put plants (float them? anchor them? attach to wood? etc):1zhelp:

I have a bunch of java moss, some java ferns, some watersprite, hornwort and basically everything you see in the attached photo. As always, thanks to everyone for all the help. I really appreciate it.

main-tank.jpg top.jpg more-top.jpg

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I know nothing or next to it, but what kind of plants have you been given ?

nice pics btw :)

alym

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
I'm still very new but I think there is some java moss, java fern, hornwort, watersprite, and then whatever those things are floating at the top.

Watersprite is so hard to plant without it floating up to the top.

alym

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Can anyone tell me what the stuff is floating in the 3rd picture? It was mixed in w/ the water sprite but has larger leaves

bkw1982

I'M GOING TO ZOMBIELAND
Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, TX
3rd pic looks like indian fern, a wider leaf watersprite

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
The small round floating plants are duckweed (Lemna); I would remove that if I were you, as duckweed can be a pain if it does well, clogging filter intakes and blocking light to your submersed plants. Hornwort doesn't root; you can leave it floating, or anchor it by weighting or burying a section of stem. I believe Java fern and watersprite do best if planted, but I'm not very familiar with those two. Java moss can be tied to driftwood, rocks, etc. with fishing line.

alym

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
The duckweed is going to be tricky to remove but it definitely can be done. I have started planting some of the water sprite but it's certainly a challenge to anchor (I know that once it takes root it should be no problem though).

You guys all are so awesome. Thanks for all the help!!!

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Don't bury the rhizome of the Java ferns -- that will kill the plant. Best thing to do is tie it to a porous rock or piece of driftwood with some cotton thread and let it develop roots that will attach themselves over time. (By the time the fern has attached, the thread will have rotted away.)

Have fun with your new garden. :)

alym

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
I will give that a try - some of the plants are really small so it's pretty hard to do. Hopefully if all goes well I'll have a solid garden establishing sooner rather than later and will then worry more about ferts and CO2 rather than whether the plants themselves will live or die ;-)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store