"Dry" Run Results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jmarsh3253

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
Well...after a near overflow, I think I've gotten my system balanced in its first "dry" run with water going through the overflow to the sump. I have a 75G with a DIY 29G sump that I built. I'm using a QuietFlo 600 overflow, and Eheim 1260 return pump from the sump. The Eheim 1260 is a BEAST! I've got about 4-4.5' of plumbing head and I have had to use my ball valve to reduce flow by about 1/2. By the way, is that OK to back the pump down by that much, or will it hurt the pump? I did a power down and my sump still had about 3" of water space left in the sump...yeah...and the overflow didn't lose its siphon...yeah again. Thanks to Ace and Reefscape for giving me the courage, from a previous post, to just fill it up and flip the switch. I'll be posting a proposed stocking list soon, so thanks for the help in advance. I also need to post some pictures.:)

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
Congrats!! You're done with half the battle and have more courage than me.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
You can throttle the pump back, but what some people do is put in a T fitting so the outlet from the pump goes in, and 2 lines come out - one goes to the tank, and one goes back to the sump. Put the ball valve on the line going back to the sump. So, if the valve is closed, all the flow goes to the tank, but if you open it, some of the flow will return back to the sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store