55 gal planted CO2 question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
Hi guys.

I'm working on a 55 gal planted setup and started thinking about my CO2..

I've got the nutrafin ladder on my 29, and would like to use a similar setup on the 55, but worry that the ladder might not be enough for the larger tank.

This got me thinking about a pressurized system. What would I need for that kind of setup? Is it worth it?

Ideas/input are appreciated!

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Off-the-shelf systems like the Nutrafin probably aren't sufficient for a 55g. You could use Flourish Excel (liquid carbon) but that could get expensive over the long run.

Rex Grigg has a great discussion of pressurized CO2 at his site; the whole site is well-worth your time. :idea:

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
pressurized it is.

does anybody have any experience renting tanks? We rent all our tanks for welding/glass work from a supply place down the street.. I imagine I can get CO2 there too.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Yes- they should have a tank exchange program. They will likely want a deposit = the cost of the tank.

Minimum Equipment:
Regulator- dual guage is preferred but single gauge can be used.
Needle valve- to regulate flow rate.
Bubble Counter- to be able tp see flow when changing it by being able to count the bubbles/minute.
Co2 resistant tubining- to connect all the parts.
Teflon tape- to insure all threaded connections don't leak.

You will need a method for dispersing the co2 into the water. this can be as simple as running it though a canister or using a reactor of some sort.

Optional Equipment:
Reactor/diffusor- to get the max co2 into the water.
Solenoid- turns co2 on and off at a preset time or in response to pH level.
pH controller- used with a solenoid to measure pH and then have solenoid turn the co2 on or off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store