Help with Identification

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NewAquaMom

AC Members
Feb 22, 2008
Hello,
I just inherited some lovely cichlids from a friend. I'm wondering what type they are and was hoping someone here might be able to help. THis one is the darker of the two. They are both VERY friendly so I'm think they like each other very much. At first I though the 25g I had them in was too small. But there has been no niping just fishy slap and tickling. Can anyone help?

myfish.jpg

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I would say it is more likely to be a Pseudotropheus Elongatus

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=855

I don't think you'll get those dark vertical bars on a socolofi, which should be powder blue. But the care and husbandry is as for socolofi in any event.

It should get to about 5 inches, does best in groups of similar fish (1 male to 2 or 3 females if mixing gender, or otherwise a group of male mbuna all of different colouration). It does need a bigger tank, about 3 feet long is pretty much minimum. What you'll find in a 25 with one other fish, presuming its also a mbuna is that they will not tolerate each other for long as they grow up and may fight to to the death. The solution is to add more mbuna, but you do not have the space to do this.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
I'm on the fence on this one, but leaning toward socolofi. This fish greatly resembles a socolofi (with stress barring present), however the barrings are nearly too distinct, practically well-developed stripes). It's also not elongated enough to be a elongatus and the stripes are strongly defined, but it doesn't appear to be fully matured (though not all elongatus have elongated frames).

If it is a socolofi it will eventually lose the barring with solid powder blue body (the barring is a temporary pattern associated with mood to a degree, usually signifying a sub-dominant position). If the stripes become a permanent pattern or become even more distinct than it may be another type of mbuna (i.e., p. elongatus).

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
why am I thinking Maylandia?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store