Anyone bred Vampire crabs before?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Has anyone been able to breed these guys? Sometimes they're called Celebes Jungle Crabs (Geosearma spp.)
I have two trios but I haven't gotten any of them to breed yet.
20Gal Tank:
Substrate: 80%eco-earth coco fiber 20%Sand
Water: 50%DI 50%fish tank water total Ph 7.4
Food: Live crickets, blanched Veggies, Hikari Crab bites, Hikari Sinking Wafers, Ocean nutrition cichlid flake.
Ultrasonic mister w/ 1x15mm plate

ohbly

AC Members
Feb 9, 2006
New Zealand
thats a cool looking crab.
Iv never heard of them before so I cant help. you'd probably have better luck in the freshwater invert forum(even if they are land crabs)

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
The only guys I've found who have bred them don't speak english. Seems more popular in the german boards and I don't speak german. From what I have translated with google, they go in opposite directions as far as care and husbandry =(

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
They are Sulawessi <==Indonesia
They are a full land crab, hates water higher than it's legs are. Doesn't need brackish to breed since it has a completely suppressed development so what I 'm supposed to see are mini crabs running around. Nothing yet though =(

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
2inch I think.. I dunno but I don't think they get very big

ProAquatics

Java craving
Mar 6, 2008
Lake Chabot
that thing is sweet!!!!!gl on the info hunt

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Well I have 6 of em.. one of these girls gotta have eggs sometime =)

Bruno Dosjax

Registered Member
Apr 15, 2008
Well I have 6 of em.. one of these girls gotta have eggs sometime =)
It's possible to breed them. I'm pretty sure they give live birth to ten little crabs! I'll ask though, my friend at work keeps them and is working on breeding them as well. He has a pretty good idea of what he's doing and knows a lot about these crabs.

I'll get back to you with some more information the next time I talk to my friend, he's got like 20! I plan on getting some offspring from him.

-Bruno

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store