Cichlid tortured my Cory

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

milobeecute

Registered Member
Apr 7, 2008
I had a Cory for over 2 years and he was big and healthy fish. He has shared a tank with a few tetras and things have been good. I moved to a larger tank and added another cory and a dwarf cichlid. I noticed that the cichlid was nipping at my big cory. The cory started to hide and then stopped eating. Then the new cory started doing the same thing. I watched and saw the Cichlid go after the little cory. Within a few days I noticed my big cory wasn't moving. When I looked closer I realized his fins had been eaten. There was little left. I moved the Cichlid to another tank but my cory died the next day :mad2:. When I purchased the Cichlid I was told that they were nice fish and would live fine with my Cory. Is this normal behavior for the Cichlid? I don't know what to do because I really didn't intend to keep two tanks. I am not going to put the Cichlid back in the big tank because I am afraid he will kill the other Cory. Why did this happen?

terror spawnin

AC Members
Jun 2, 2007
What kind of cichlid?
Most dwarfs from the african region will pick other fish to death.
Most south americans are timid and don't mess with others.

I have a feeling after you research cichlids and see the wide range of varieties you will fall in love with them.

tnoutlaw36

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
sorry about your fish fish. but :welcome: to ac. these guys give great advice, may not be what you want to hear but better than losing fish. again welcome.

lovejonesx

AC Members
Dec 5, 2003
Visit site
The thing is that Cichlids are known for picking other fish voraciously & in your case the Cory & the Dwarfs shared the same niche at the bottom of the tank, so obviously there was little or no relief for it to get away.

Sorry about your loss, but it's one of the characters that many LIKE about Cichlids, that they have their own (often fussy & deadly) personalities like that.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
it would really help to know what kind of cichlid you have. there are hundreds if not thousands of different species, and more than a handful that would be considered 'dwarf'. in the future, find out the exact scientific name of any fish you like and research it BEFORE buying. that will save you money, frustration, and potentially the lives of your other fish.

wolf13

AC Members
Mar 13, 2007
south americans also differ greatly in temperment from mild mannered rams to more aggressive apisto's. A cory that has already found his territory in a tank may not get the hint that the cichlid has claimed that spot, and I have no doubt some of apistos could do a lot of damage. Some species of apisto's reportly can be real terrors in a tank, injuring or even killing larger fish. I haven't seen my apisto's do any real damage yet, but my a. panduro's are definatly a lot more aggressive then the "peaceful" label would suggest, even driving off much larger pleco's. you never mentioned the size of tank, cover or temp. turning down the temp even a degree or two can supposidly make a lot of differnce in behavior, and too small of a tank or not enough cover will force fish into territorial issues.

I really suggest either posting a pic or identifing your cichlid and posting what it is as well as the tank temp, size and layout.

dent20

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
Davenport, IA
Sounds like you had some bad luck with your cichlid. I have two cory fish with three growing cichlids, including a 6-inch polleni and for the most part the cichlids ignore them. I wouldn't trust an LFS though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store