Pregnant red claw crab

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snacks

AC Members
Feb 12, 2008
Hi everyone,
My red claw crab has recently become pregnant. I wonder if there is anything special that I have to take care of, for e.g. special diet, more regular water changes etc? Thanks for any advice!

vteel

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
Vermont
pregnant?

Wow! How do you know it's pregnant? I didn't know you could breed Hermits, is that what you did? If so, how did you do it?

That's cool! Sorry I couldn't offer advice.

VTEEL

snacks

AC Members
Feb 12, 2008
Hi
Mine is a red claw crab, not hermit crab. Sadly, I think the female pregnant crab got defensive and aggressive and killed the male one 2 days ago :(

boomsticks

Mike
Dec 7, 2005
NH
Do they have to come out of the water? I always wanted to keep red claws, but I never knew if they need a special set-up so they can come onto dry land. I know this is an old thread, but if you can let me know I would appreciate it they are really cool creatures!

golderm

AC Members
Sep 18, 2009
hi, sorry to wake up an old thread, but I've just found my red clawed crab is pregnant, does anyone know how to care for them/the eggs?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
You don't care for the eggs, the female does. She'll broadcast the eggs into the water shortly before they hatch into nauplii. As far as caring for them, I am completely unfamiliar with the species. I don't know if there has been any captive breeding of them. Likely, however, the process is more than you'll want to get involved with, as it is in most breeding ventures.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store