How much BIO-Filtration

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yjjeep43

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Are there any guidelines for balancing bio filtering among the filter and plants. I have read that planted aquariums don't need a bio filter (in fact that could be harmful to the plants), but every aquarium must be a little different depending on plant selection, density, and bio-load. Included is a pic of my 7gal tank. The lighter broad leaf are real and the one in the corner is fake. I have also planted 3 "betta bulbs" that I got with the fish but don't know what they are. I will have a total of 1 betta and 5-6 neon tetras in the tank (currently I just have the betta). The question is, how do I determine if the plants are keeping up with the bio end of the filtration before it is harmful to the fish?

Tank.JPG

Last edited:

sillypony

Fish+College=BROKE
Mar 27, 2008
WNY
My answer would be to purchase a (liquid) test kit- test your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. If the ammonia and nitrites get above zero, you need to do water change(s) to get htem to zero. Nitrates should, ideally, be maintained (through water changes) at <10. This is the same process you should do with any tank, especially a new one. Ammonia and nitrites are deadly. Read up on the cycling process (there are sticky threads on it) if you aren't familiar with it.

I, personally, would put some kind of bacteria filtration in (and cycle the tank) if ammonia and nitrite don't stay down.

As far as the plants role in all of this, and if you have enough plants, etc, I'm not sure.

Good Luck
LeeAnna

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
The green and white striped plants (Dracaena sanderiana) are not aquatic, and neither is the Borneo Fern (Trichomanes javanicum). They will eventually rot and foul your tank. It may not be immediate, but it will happen. I got duped into buying these from the petstore when I started my first tanks, so don't feel bad.

Whether you want it or not, you are going to have biological filtration in the tank. The beneficial bacteria will build up in the filter media, on the gravel, and on the decor. The plants you have are not going to be enough by themselves, since they aren't even true aquatics. It looks like you have a filter on the tank already, so just read the sticky on cycling before you add more fish, and you'll be all set. You can get true aquatic plants if you want; they won't be harmed by the biological filter activity, though if you want high light or fast growing plants you may need to dose fertilizers.

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
Are there any guidelines for balancing bio filtering among the filter and plants. I have read that planted aquariums don't need a bio filter (in fact that could be harmful to the plants), but every aquarium must be a little different depending on plant selection, density, and bio-load. Included is a pic of my 7gal tank. The lighter broad leaf are real and the one in the corner is fake. I have also planted 3 "betta bulbs" that I got with the fish but don't know what they are. I will have a total of 1 betta and 5-6 neon tetras in the tank (currently I just have the betta). The question is, how do I determine if the plants are keeping up with the bio end of the filtration before it is harmful to the fish?
yj: 1st thing is that you did good on that tank with respect to aesthetics.

2nd thing is, and which has been mentioned previously, is that you really need a liquid reagent test kit. (I use TetraTest) Please note that after you get the hang of your bio system you will not test as much.

3rd thing is that biological filtration will not remove remove nitrates and plants do not live by nitrates alone. IMHO, the more biological filtration the better for many reasons. I have sufficient biological filtration media in my 100G tank to support probably a 1000G tank.

4th thing is that if you enjoy plants, as I do, you need to get into fertilizers. IMHO dry fertilizers are the way to go and if you have questions please post.

TR

BTW: lighting type and duration significantly affects plant growth and health also.

yjjeep43

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
As always, thanks for all the information. I fully understand checking water quality and have successfully kept a completely artificial tank going. I guess my question was misunderstood or misleading. As I have seen on this website and references to other sites, many believe that once a planted tank has adequate plant life, the artificial (bio-wheel, bio-balls, etc.) should be removed as to let the plants thrive on the ammonia and do that part of the filtering. My water is fine now but I have cycled it with a HOB with bio-wheel. I am just looking for info. on knowing if or when the plants will meet the bio needs of the tank by themselves (assuming I have good aquatic plants) without a harsh spike and hurting the fish if I remove the bio-wheel and just use the filter for mechanical filtering. I guess one way would be to just try it once all the fish were in and constantly check for levels. Like SillyPony said, if they don't stay down then the plants aren't cutting it. I just hate to shock the fish unnecessarily.

Last edited:

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
There's no real reason to remove the bio media if you have any in-place. The plants and the bacteria will essentially be competing for the nitrogenous waste. The more waste your plants can absorb, the smaller population of bacteria your tank will house. I don't see how the bacteria colony could be detrimental.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store