Killifish Breeding/raising

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I don't like dealing with eggs, it's too hit or miss. I only have experience with a few aphy/chromaphy species, but have had great success with them in very heavily planted tanks with alot of floating plant coverage using the permanent colony method. If you feed enough live/frozen food (mysis and bloodworms are perf) it's only a matter of time before you start seeing fry swimming near the top. My babies have been fine on golden pearls until they graduate to bigger food. It seems pictures are real easy to find online, as well as sites in other languages, but I had more luck finding care sheets when I searched by species.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Java moss on the bottom, najas and amazon frogbit works for me. It doesn't need to be crazy dense, and whatever you've got that grows for you should be just fine. I started in a 10 gallon, but found it necessary to size up within about 4 months, so it may be good to start with a 20 long. Also, all of the fish that I have raised this way are already looking much better than their parents in terms of fin development! Aphy. australe, striatum, chromaphy. bitaeniatum or bivittatum are pretty good beginner fish that work in permanent setups.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Are they taking prepared foods? Mine wouldn't for the longest time, but after about 2 weeks of blackworms and frozen mysis, there were plenty of fry in that tank. You might want a bunch more plants though, as the fry will need places to hide, and a source of infusoria for their first food.

timhook22

Hey shmuck...Good morning Putz...
Mar 16, 2008
Well the female is eating flake, the male hasn't taken much so I am going to try frozen soon... I made a spawning mop and they seem to like that for cover. I think I am going to get a 5gal tank and use that for breeding and then keep juvies in my 10gal display.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
i've been wanting clown killies,
fosters and smith sell them but didn't want to buy from them only if i had to..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store