Freshwater planted clean up crew

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alym

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
I'm running a 25 gallon livebearer planted tank. In it are 3 guppies, a platy, 2 swordtails and some small snails that came in on the plants.

What's a good clean up crew for this tank? Ideally ones that won't conflict w/ the livebearers and ones that won't dig up the plants.

Thanks for the help :)

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
:iagree: add a mystery snail they come in many different colors and are fun to watch

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Mystery snails are good to hace since they do a good job in the cleanup department and are cool to look at. You might consider otos but they need to be in groups of at least three or they will not do well in the tank. They are also very picky about food and most times will only eat algae and not suppliments such as algae wafers. They will literally starve themselves to death then eat something they do not want. If you get otos just make sure you have a constant supply of algae for them. You might consider a bristlenose pleco. They max out in the 5-6 inch range so they will not outgrow the tank. they are very busy little guys and will not bother any of the other fish or live plants if you have them.

Just some thoughts.

Marinemom

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
Malaysian trumpet snails are great for stirring the substrate, getting leftover food, and won't disturb plants. They won't overpopulate if you don't overfeed.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
My only hickup here is the definition of the term being used, which in a FW system doesn't exist as might be indicated by the thread title. A cleanup crew to me, means something that removes the refuge and waste, etc. That's a Gravel Vac.

As for FW aquaria that dwell on the bottom and eat a food diet, the suggestions above cover the bases.

alym

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
I was referring to exactly what has been described above -- fish that clean up the tank of algae, eating leftovers, etc. I certainly will be doing water changes and vacuuming the gravel on a weekly basis :)

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001
I have a 75g and it's virtually spotless thanks to my spawn happy mystery snails. I have easily 200 snails in my tank and they do a wonderful job keeping everything cleaned up. I've also got MTS in there, but not nearly as many. And yes, I'm aware of the size mystery snails can get. When they get too big, they find a new home. I give them away to friends that have tanks. At a shop, these go for about $2 each, so most people are happy to get them. Too bad I can't sell the little boogers.

Ghost shrimp are also good cleaners. They get into places snails can't.

As for cleaner fish, I've never found fish to be reliable cleaners. My plecs are too well fed on algae wafers to care about anything they have to work for, my cories would rather turn flips and it'd take an army of ottos to keep all my plants clean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store