55G long for a few comets ?????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
we are looking to get a 55G long tank for a few of our comets, which are only about 3 inches long right now. The problem that I am seeing in my mind is that the tank is only 12.5" deep. Is that deep enough for a few comets to turn around? We are only going to have plants in the back, and a few hiding spots. is that gong to be enough room?

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
If this is going to be their permanent home, I would consider springing for a 50, 65, or 75 gallon tank, as these are 18" from front to back. Only the very biggest comets would have trouble turning around in an open 55, but a bigger tank will give them a little more comfort, and give you more leeway to place plants and decor without cramping the fish.

How many fish are going in the tank?

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
A 55 tank and stand, at least around here can be had for less than 100 bucks. My 75 tank and stand was around 250ish new. IMO, a 55 should be just fine for 2 or 3 at most.

BadDogsPa

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Keep them in the 55, if they get too large deal with it then..comets dont grow all that fast.

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
the 55 we might be getting for 60 bucks with an oak stand (matches our new 65) and we will have 3 or so fish that are only about 2.5" right now, a few silk plants and a couple hiding places. nothing really fancy, just nice and accommodate the comets.
I think we will stick with a 55 right now, because we are really wanting a pond in the future.
thanks for the input guys.
Jason

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
I agree, I would drop the 55 on craigslist to recoup some of your cost and pick up a wider tank.
My fish are 14" and under right now, and I'm getting them a 24" wide tank soon. My current 60 gallon is 18" wide, and while they don't have trouble turning, it's a bit tight for them and I don't want them to hurt themselves in a spawning frenzy or if they are suddenly frightened.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
I would stick with a tank at least 18 inches wide if you can. I've got fish the same size as shutter in my 125 tank with lots of decor and they are very happy.

What do you have them in now? If it is a smaller than 55 gal and you can't afford to buy a larger one then go for it. It's more important that they have enough water for their waste needs than a few inches to turn around in. (death vrs minor discomfort).

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
We have them in a 65gal right now. We got them at a fair and we bought a ten gallon to put 7 of them in. I know crazy right? The guy and petco said that they would be fine in it. We then did some research and found out that was completely wrong. We went to our lfs and talked to the owner and we eventually bought the 65 with the intention of cycling it with the goldfish and then exchanging them for tropical fish. We have since grown fond of two of them and want to keep three of them in a 55 for now until we buy a house in a few months and build a pond for them. Well we only have 6 now one had died shortly after we got it.

Cara

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store