Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    07-14-2008 11:58 PM

what fish can i add to the seahorse tank?

as many of you know i have a 12 gallon seahorse tank set up with two small seahorses in it, and everyone is doing splendidly. i added a bottle of tigger pods today and they are both having a lot of fun "hunting" down dinner. so fun to watch. it's also a reef tank, with ~20lbs live rock, zoas, mushrooms, xenia, yellow polyps, and green star polyps. also have a couple of small hermits, snails, and a feather duster.

i'd like to add some fish to the tank, but i realize that 2-3 is probably the most i'll be able to add due to the size of the tank. what do you all suggest? i'm interested in a sandsifting goby of some type to help keep the bottom clean, possibly a twin-spot since they stay small. i'd also like to add some color...could you add a royal gramma with seahorses? i know the usual advice...slow fish so the ponies won't starve, don't get agressive fish...etc. i just wondered if anyone had any success stories of what they had with their seahorses, or if anyone just had some suggestoins. thanks so much!
    Last edited by rxdoc_85; 04-10-2008 at 6:24 PM.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    04-24-2008 10:03 PM
    I had dwarf seahorses in my daughters tank w/ a baby long-horned cowfish. Very peaceful and cute, but they tend to get pretty large so you'd need another tank to transfer them to or upgrade your tank. I also have a red brittle star to keep the tank clean, but it might also outgrow your tank. Have you thought about upgrading and using the 12g as an extra?

getting back to basics AnnetteG's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    12-17-2010 7:46 PM
    How about yellow and green clown gobies? Cute, colorful and stay small. Maybe a citron goby too. Love mine. Pink Bar Goby? Blue Spotted Jawfish? I read this page ALL the time. LOL

http://www.peteducation.com/category...ls=16&cat=1876

Fun! Keep posting more pics!

OOO, get a purple firefish!
    My Tanks:
    58 gallon Oceanic RR - SW w/ fish, LR & softies

Contain the Excitement... Amphiprion's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Last Activity
    08-10-2014 10:29 PM
    Just make sure you don't add the micro gobies, as the seahorses will actually eat them.

getting back to basics AnnetteG's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    12-17-2010 7:46 PM
    which ones are considered micro gobies? the clowns? Or are there some even smaller? I have a teeny - less than an inch - striped one living in my overflow that came with my FL live rock, but I haven't seen any that small in fish stores.
    My Tanks:
    58 gallon Oceanic RR - SW w/ fish, LR & softies

this fish was coming on to me salty420's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    05-07-2010 7:27 PM
    Blog Entries
    i would NEVER add a royal gramma with seahorses! at least not my RG... i'd also not add more than 1 or 2 small fish - i like annette's firefish idea, maybe a pair of those..? or just the sand sifter that you mentioned. if you got a sand sifter i'd not have anything else in the tank other than that and the horses.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-31-2012 10:35 PM
    Blog Entries
    One obvious choice is to add a pipefish as they are a memeber of the seahorse family and are of the same temperment as the SH. You also won't have to worry about another food type since they like the same things. If you get a banded pipefish they will also add a bit of additional color, not that you need it as your SH tank looks great. If you want more info on pipefish try this site: http://www.syngnathid.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php There is a subforum called Flatmates that has some interesting reading.
    "Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement." C.S. Lewis

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    09-13-2009 8:16 PM
    You could try a yasha hase goby.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Jayne
    Last Activity
    06-06-2014 4:15 PM
    I know that nanoogurl from reef central had some clowns with hers (I think they were A. ocelaris, mighthave been A. percula tho) and I know many people have had good luck with clown gobies.

by micro gobies I assume you mean Trimmma sp. and Eviota sp. while they are small, the ones I have seen/ kept would have been FAR too big to be eaten by SH, and you also have to take into acount that these guys are very quick. IMO in a 12g either a clown goby or 2 trimma or eviota gobies is all I would add.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-02-2009 9:25 PM
    Blog Entries
    I'm surprised you can get 2-3 fish in that tank given the size and already existing bio-load...I would avoid the royal gramma...I've yet to meet one that doesn't swim fast and is aggressive. What about a yellow watchman goby? Pretty color...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information