what fish can i add to the seahorse tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rxdoc_85

AC Members
Mar 9, 2008
st. louis, missouri
as many of you know i have a 12 gallon seahorse tank set up with two small seahorses in it, and everyone is doing splendidly. i added a bottle of tigger pods today and they are both having a lot of fun "hunting" down dinner. so fun to watch. it's also a reef tank, with ~20lbs live rock, zoas, mushrooms, xenia, yellow polyps, and green star polyps. also have a couple of small hermits, snails, and a feather duster.

i'd like to add some fish to the tank, but i realize that 2-3 is probably the most i'll be able to add due to the size of the tank. what do you all suggest? i'm interested in a sandsifting goby of some type to help keep the bottom clean, possibly a twin-spot since they stay small. i'd also like to add some color...could you add a royal gramma with seahorses? i know the usual advice...slow fish so the ponies won't starve, don't get agressive fish...etc. i just wondered if anyone had any success stories of what they had with their seahorses, or if anyone just had some suggestoins. thanks so much!

Last edited:

kamoton

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
SC
I had dwarf seahorses in my daughters tank w/ a baby long-horned cowfish. Very peaceful and cute, but they tend to get pretty large so you'd need another tank to transfer them to or upgrade your tank. I also have a red brittle star to keep the tank clean, but it might also outgrow your tank. Have you thought about upgrading and using the 12g as an extra?

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
which ones are considered micro gobies? the clowns? Or are there some even smaller? I have a teeny - less than an inch - striped one living in my overflow that came with my FL live rock, but I haven't seen any that small in fish stores.

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
i would NEVER add a royal gramma with seahorses! at least not my RG... i'd also not add more than 1 or 2 small fish - i like annette's firefish idea, maybe a pair of those..? or just the sand sifter that you mentioned. if you got a sand sifter i'd not have anything else in the tank other than that and the horses.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
One obvious choice is to add a pipefish as they are a memeber of the seahorse family and are of the same temperment as the SH. You also won't have to worry about another food type since they like the same things. If you get a banded pipefish they will also add a bit of additional color, not that you need it as your SH tank looks great. If you want more info on pipefish try this site: http://www.syngnathid.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php There is a subforum called Flatmates that has some interesting reading.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I know that nanoogurl from reef central had some clowns with hers (I think they were A. ocelaris, mighthave been A. percula tho) and I know many people have had good luck with clown gobies.

by micro gobies I assume you mean Trimmma sp. and Eviota sp. while they are small, the ones I have seen/ kept would have been FAR too big to be eaten by SH, and you also have to take into acount that these guys are very quick. IMO in a 12g either a clown goby or 2 trimma or eviota gobies is all I would add.

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
I'm surprised you can get 2-3 fish in that tank given the size and already existing bio-load...I would avoid the royal gramma...I've yet to meet one that doesn't swim fast and is aggressive. What about a yellow watchman goby? Pretty color...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store