My Oscars finally Laid eggs! Now what?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sassyb

Registered Member
Dec 30, 2002
Alberta , Canada
Visit site
This has been a long time comeing. Their 2 tiger oscars ... About 8- 10 in in length. Thier in a 120 gal tank. Finially thiey have bread!!!!!!!!!!How can I tell if the eggs are fertilized?

dave76

Home Zookeeper in Training....
May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
The best thing you can do now is watch the eggs and see if they hatch. If they dont hatch is 3-4 days they are either fungused or non fertile. If they turn white they are fungused.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
CONGRATS on the eggs!! yea DAVE 76 got it right do what he said, basically just wait, the parents will take care of the babies by themselves so u dont have that much to do except watch them.

Frameshift

Cookie Monster
Oct 22, 2001
Honolulu, HI
Feed newly free-swimming fry baby brine shrimp...and I hope you have some massive grow out tanks.

FYI-fertilized eggs are a clearish/amber color, unfertilized are white.

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
You might have two females....I have heard of oscars going through breeding behavior but never producing offspring. I had a friend that traded his in to a LFS as a breeding pair with a red devil to get two arowanas. What comes around goes around though as one of the arowanas killed the other. His laid eggs all the time but never produces any fry. I would suggest using some kind of fungus medication and making sure that your water is highly oxigenated. If they still do not hatch then you might just have two females.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I thought that cichlids were good at differentiating good eggs from bad ones and would eat the bad ones during the "mouthing" process...though I could be wrong...or this could be an overgeneralization, especially if the pair isn't really compatible. Would this mean that the antifungal would be necessary? (Just for clarification. I don't want to call anyone into question.)

Last edited:

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
I had read that people who were having mostly white egg batches believed that they were fungused and use of medications such as malachite green could prevent this. I do not know if this is effective but would be the only way to discern if the eggs were being eaten because of disease or non-fertilization.

Last edited:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Fair enough. Thank you for the considerate reply, and for clarifying this for someone (myself) with much less experience.

~Matthew

Frameshift

Cookie Monster
Oct 22, 2001
Honolulu, HI
The cichlid family in general are long lived for fish so natural selection has given them some "time" to figure out how breeding works. Very rarely do they get it right the first time. It usually is the 3rd-4th time before they figure out to pick off the fungused eggs and to not eat them.

Read that somewhere...with my cons and JD's third time is a charm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store