Stocking My 90 Gallon Cichlid Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

helios99

AC Members
Mar 22, 2008
I've been keeping fish for a 3 years in my 30 Gal tank. Seeing my enthusiasm and my prolonged dedication with fish keeping my mother bought a 90 Gal tank for me with state-of-the-art filtration and heating systems. I have decided to make this one a Cichlid only tank with the help of my cousin who has some experience with cichlids. Im not too sure about how to stock this one up though as im not used to this size <4ft (l) x 1.5 ft (b) x 2ft (h)> and behaviour of some cichlids.

The tank is set up, cycled and ready to get stocked. I have aquascaped it with lots of rocks and four well sized pieces of malaysian driftwood providing lots of cover and hiding places. I have not kept plants as im not sure if any of my cichlids would rip them apart. This is how i have been planning to stock it:

2 pairs of Blood red parrot Cichlids (small)
A pair of Jewel Cichlids
A pair of Zebra Cichlids
A pair of Snow White cichlids (?)

And im planning to shift my 4 baby clown loaches from the the 30 gal as it will be too small for them once they grow.

I would highly appreciate any suggestions and advice regarding the stocking and keeping of these fish. And any tips from someone with experience regarding these fish.

Thank you.

p.s. do you think there would be any room for a single small firemouth that my cousin has no place for?

Thanks again

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
1st- i would not keep clown loaches with african cichlids. not only do africans need different water parameter, but they are just to aggressive for clowns.

that is alot of breeding pairs for a 90 gallon. the jewels wil get VERY aggressive when they breed, as will the others.

the blood parrots alone will fully stock the tank.

helios99

AC Members
Mar 22, 2008
Krytan, these fish that im getting have being doing quite well together in my cousin's tank for a while now. some have bred a couple of timnes as well. but do you still think they wouldnt be able to coexist?

Last edited:

helios99

AC Members
Mar 22, 2008
1st- i would not keep clown loaches with african cichlids. not only do africans need different water parameter, but they are just to aggressive for clowns.

that is alot of breeding pairs for a 90 gallon. the jewels wil get VERY aggressive when they breed, as will the others.

the blood parrots alone will fully stock the tank.
the jewels im getting have already bred a couple of times in my cousins tank which has a couple of blood parrots and a pair of zebras among other cichlids and this tank is considerably smaller than mine. they did no harm to these other cichlids nor were too aggressive. do you think once they have lots of space and lesser fish to contend with they will be more aggressive or will it be the other way round? And do you think along with these cichlids I should only do with just one pair of parrots? thanks for your suggestions

helios99

AC Members
Mar 22, 2008
and instead of loaches do you think Cories would be able to do well if they have enough hiding places? otherwise what should i have as bottom dwellers/ cleaners?

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
Krytan, these fish that im getting have being doing quite well together in my cousin's tank for a while now. some have bred a couple of timnes as well. but do you still think they wouldnt be able to coexist?
There are exceptions to the rule but they shouldn't be keept together.

the jewels im getting have already bred a couple of times in my cousins tank which has a couple of blood parrots and a pair of zebras among other cichlids and this tank is considerably smaller than mine. they did no harm to these other cichlids nor were too aggressive. do you think once they have lots of space and lesser fish to contend with they will be more aggressive or will it be the other way round? And do you think along with these cichlids I should only do with just one pair of parrots? thanks for your suggestions
The blood parrots will grow to 8" and 4 of them would fill a 90g, also a breeding pair of cichlids can take over the whole tank.

and instead of loaches do you think Cories would be able to do well if they have enough hiding places? otherwise what should i have as bottom dwellers/ cleaners?
Corys are not sutable either, i would put a nice pleco in with your cichlids.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
....This is how i have been planning to stock it:

2 pairs of Blood red parrot Cichlids (small)
A pair of Jewel Cichlids
A pair of Zebra Cichlids
A pair of Snow White cichlids (?)
...I would highly appreciate any suggestions and advice regarding the stocking and keeping of these fish. And any tips from someone with experience regarding these fish... do you think there would be any room for a single small firemouth that my cousin has no place for?
I recommend selecting a single GROUPING of cichids stock with only cichlids belonging to that group.

I recommend selling/trading the parrots and jewels, bypass the firemoutn, and stocking the tank with just mbuna species (which the zebra and snow white pseudotropheus socolofi are).

Due to their social nature, mbuna's prefer to be in groups. Also mbuna's are harem or polygamous breeders and don't tend to do well in pairs. So rather than get two (which might be 1m/1f, or 2m or 2f) get 1 male per several females per species (example 1 male zebra, 3 female zebras, 2 male snow white socolofi's and 4 female snow white socolfi's, etc).

In a 90gal you would stock 15-25 mbuna's (subject to variables).

BigFishKeeper

Host of Aquatic Wetline Podcast
Feb 23, 2008
Springfield Mass USA
www.blogtalkradio.com
Real Name
Aqua Alex Cardinale
I wouldn't mix africans with american cichlids. They will fight each other. Heres some cichlids I suggest for ya:
Blue Acras
1 Oscar
green terror
Jack Dempsey
blood parrots.
That would be a good tank!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The bottom cleaner will be you with a gravel vac....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store