Noob Project:1st 40Gal. SW Project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JunpoweR

AC Members
Mar 18, 2008
Hello everyone,
I am planning my first SWreef tank and was wondering if my idea will work.I have some questions and options for this set up.I already have the Black back 40gal truvu to start with.Please bear with me since I am jumping into SW tanks only 3 months after starting FW. Here are my Q's,How many lbs of live rock do i run?How many lbs per gal was it? I will be running about 2000GPH flow with a combination of powerhead and FX5 can modded for slightly more flow filled with live rock, this should be about 50 x flow per tank size enough?How much lighting do I need to have a nice tank I am planning HQI but will T5 run just as nice coral?.How much livestock can I run if properly added and tank cycled.I want almost no filtration.Well below are my plans so everyone feel free to comment and let me know if I can sustain lush life with the proposed SW tank.With my plannes equipment will I be able to run a lush reef system with the plans below?

TruVu 40 Gal spec. l30" x d18" x h16"
150w or 250w HQI lighting
FX5 with elements removed for 800GPH+
Turbelle nano stream 1000GPH+
Live rock and 2"-4" sand

Planned Livestock:
2 Percula Clown pair
3-4 Anenome
1 Goby/pistol shrimp pair
1 Chainlink moray eel
2-3 Turbo snails
2 Emerald crabs
2 Dwarf blue leg hermit
2 Electric blue hermit
2 Nassarius snail
2 Super tongan nassarius snail
Various coral and feather duster possibly?Can I add another fish to my mix? How much bio-load max can a tank this size handle?

Last edited:

Bagshaw

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
I think you have too many anenomes and the moray wont work but the rest are good.
I would doube or triple that clean up crew btw

JunpoweR

AC Members
Mar 18, 2008
Do clown fish pick one favorite anenome or jump from one to another?I wanted more if they jump to give them more joy!If not then i'll size down to 2.
Glad to hear I can double the clean up crew!
The moray i was thinking os keeping a small baby one from 1-4 inches. if it gets any larger I will move onto a larger tank.
How fast do these grow?

Will my tank support this much life?
How much live rock will I need?
If I like to run more life do I need more flow or more tank size?
I was thinking of adding another FX5 to pick up from top and flow from the bottom.The first one would be picking up on bottom and flowing on top.
With the powerhead this should give me about 2500gph-2800gph flow rate in a 40 gallon is this enough? about 50-65 times flow rate/gallons.If i do this will my sand fly around and not stay put?I'm not worried about price because I will be buying/collecting equipment till the end of the year.I should be well over the $1000 mark by the time i start putting water into the tank.
I am worried about a beautiful reef and lifeforms swimming around.

I will also be getting a nano tank for QT since i keep reading it's a must.
but hopefuly it goes like my FW tanks no problems and alot of babies!!

Last edited:

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
I highly recommend getting live rock from Tampa Bay Salt Water Live Rock. The rock is second to none...more life than you can imagine. You can see pics on their website and my tank thread: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147828&page=11

I got 2lbs per gallon and I like the look in my tank. I'd recommend more clean up crew, fewer anemones. Clowns don't need anemones and it is no gaurantee that they will host to an anemone in your tank. More anemones probably doesn't increase your odds any. If it is a clown that will host, it will host period. Also, they can host on other things like corals and even equipment!

If you are going to get a pistol shrimp, I'd recommend NOT putting the tank you in your bedroom. The clicking is annoying.

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
I really love my emerald but I also hear that they are unpredictable with regard to eating your coral...soooo if you are going to do coral be prepared to bring him back to your LFS if need.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
You are not going to run a sump for refugium? It is going to be pretty difficult to run that as a reef tank. It can be done, but lots of water changes and testing. Definately need around 80lbs of live rock for a 40G tank if no fuge.

Only 1 anemone for that size tank. They get real big and will split over time. They also sting other corals within reach, and they have a pretty far reach. This includes zoas, palys, and mushrooms. I wouldn't do an emerald crab.. it is possible to get a good one, but more than likely get a coral eater. No eel.. too small of a tank and they can be very mean at times.

I agree with Bagshaw, definately triple your cleaning crew list.

JunpoweR

AC Members
Mar 18, 2008
.So far I am planning on modding my tank. Trip to tap plastics and fun with epoxy resins!!
Here is a pic of a simple overflow I mocked up on paint.

If I run this overflow into a 1.5" pipe into a 30 gallon REF?
Will 1.5 inch pipe be able to flow fast enough for up to 2000GPH?I want to use 2 FX5 canisters to draw water back into the tank to act like powerheads.Inside the canisters I will have some carbon and required elements when needed.Does live rock sound good also?Or should i use 1 FX5 and a turbo pump for the REF?

My main plan is to have this system run all natural bio system.
Possibly a load of bioballs in the back sump i designed if it would do any good.
Tell me if this looks like a workable overflow design.

Thanks

Last edited:

JunpoweR

AC Members
Mar 18, 2008
ok im lost now I keep seeing diffrent set ups that will make my life easier!!!
There to many combinations so I will make due with what I can find and build something.
I am ditching the custom overflow and going with a kit!!
Damm why do i even try to DYI when everything is there!!

Hang on Refugium handle enough load?

Last edited:

JunpoweR

AC Members
Mar 18, 2008
CPR large hang on Refugium the 25" model should look good on back?
Looks like I will be modding the tank, drilling and cutting,I'm sure everyone does
Can't you all see I am awake all night till the AM dreaming of my reef!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store