Broken Glass: To repair or to replace?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr.Jingles

It's Aqua Live!
Aug 26, 2000
MI, USA
wassup!

I've got this great 40 gallon breeder that I bought from the LFS for cheap becuase the bottom pane of glass was cracked. I didn't care becuase I was just housing a bearded dragon in it. Now the dragon is gone and I want to use it as a fish tank. Here's the dilemma:

it's cracked all the way across, and at two corners on the bottom.

I could try to take it off, and replace it with a new pane of glass: cost: 31$ for a 18 by 36" piece of glass, and some small cash for new aquarium sealant. Problem: The piece of glass is freaking hard to get off, I've tried it on one of the corners. It just doesn't want to separate from the sides of the glass. Does anyone know an easy way to do this?

I could just put a piece of plexi glass on the bottom of it all to reinforce and give a place for some silicone to seal all of the cracks. Cost: much less ~$20 for plexi, and some small cash for silicone. Problem: I would lie awake at night hoping it didn't all come leaking out.

anyone have experience with this? What is your reccomendation?

thanks!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Side panels are usually easier to replace, and safer. For a bottom panel, I would put in glass like you're thinking of doing with the plexiglass. The glass is stronger than the plexiglass--acrylic tanks must be fully supported on the bottom, so I'm thinking the plexiglass would be that same. An additionla chunk of glass will distribute some weight to the existing peice, and that will add to it's strength. I'd still fill the tank and let it sit--with substrate and such--for at least a month before I trusted it with fish.

Using egg crate on the bottom of the substrate, then any large rocks/wood, then the substrate gravel would distribute the weight more evenly, which would also help out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store