Pregnant balloon molly died without giving birth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eohippus

AC Members
Feb 8, 2008
We had a pair of balloon mollies (male/female). The female appeared to become pregnant, as her belly became much larger and rounder than the male's. She eventually did get that "swallowed a brick" look about her -- her belly appeared almost squared off on the bottom. She stayed this way for over two months -- it might even have been three -- and then died suddenly without ever having given birth.

Any thoughts?

eohippus

AC Members
Feb 8, 2008
Her scales were not sticking out but she'd become so big and stretched that her skin took on a paler look, and it looked like she was about to burst.

We had five zebra danios (plus a snail and oto) in the tank with her (the male molly had died prior). We feed them about 10 Tetramin Crisps twice day.

Easydoesit

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
Taxachusetts
the male died before her? hm.
i was reading a thread earlier about a female fish full of too many eggs. i think it is called "egg bound" or something like that... when the female has a hard time pushing the eggs out for whatever reason. the person posting the thread contacted a fish vet and the fish vet said the fish could be egg bound or have a tumor.
tumors arent immediately life threatening, but they shorten the life span of this fish. how much a tumor will shorten the life span of the fish isnt really very predictable.
im not sure though, hope this mightve helped?

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Balloon mollies are deformed - they should never have been bred IME. They suffer from all sorts of things and gynaecological problems do not surprise me in the least.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store