Live Bait for Snowflake Eel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vteel

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
Vermont
Does anyone know of any good live bait for a Snowflake Eel?

I just watched a video on Youtube of a Snowflake Eel eating Goldfish. But Goldfish are freshwater and Eels are salt so how is that possible?

Also, does Aquariacentral have a Forum for buying/selling used Aquariums & Equipment?

Thanks!

VTEEL

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
Nov 29, 2002
ST.Louis Area
Visit site
For sale items go to "Board Index" and scroll down to Classifieds.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

As for the diet of your snowflake, I recommend feeding frozen shrimp from the grocery store. These will be the cheapest. Just thaw them out and then feed one. make sure he eats it and then you might be able to work up to 3 shrimp. Buy the appropriate sized shrimp for the size eel that you have. This will be the healthiest diet.

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
ugh, I won't even let my hubby buy feeder fish for his Oscar. I have worked at a large petstore and I know those fish are kept in over crowded tanks, there are always several dead or dying in with them, they're eating the dead and dying fish, and they are potentially (or even probably) disease carrying, which you could pass along to everything in your tank not to mention the fish doing the eating. blech :headshake2:

boomsticks

Mike
Dec 7, 2005
NH
Yeah, NEVER feed any saltwater animals "feeder fish" they don't contain the omega fatty acids and the protiens required to keep your fish healthy. I have fed my snowflake a mixture of clams and silversides. He or she seems to prefer silversides over anything else. Every once and a while I will feed him chunks of UNCOOKED shrimp.

Also, if you find your eel isn't accepting food (a common problem especially if it's new and doesn't know the "feeding routine" in your tank) you can wave the food in front of it. A pair of tongs will work - just get it to eat. I think it best to mix it up - krill, silversides - and I'd agree that uncooked shrimp is good as everything isn't "cooked out" of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store