krib drama

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stopcloningshee

AC Members
Jan 13, 2006
so I have an established 20H planted tank. the main occupant is a female krib. also have 2 hatchets and an oto. last summer, she bred successfully with her mate about once a month and became a better mother each time. ie larger hatch and more survivors. mom and dad split parenting duties for the most part. over the winter, she became more agressive toward the male with every new brood, i had to remove him for a few weeks once, and put him back after the babies had grown. a month later, she killed him the day before she brought the latest fry out of the cave. That was a while ago, and lately she has been flashing and looking a little chubby so I thought she was ready for more fry. I got her a mate and they got along ok for a while. they've been fighting now for a few days, but everyone was in good health so I thought it would pass. she brought her latest batch of fry out of the cave today and dad is looking awful. I tried to catch him, but i can't because of all the plants/rocks in the tank. he is younger, therefore smaller than her and can't hide anywhere. is it normal for a krib to turn more agressive with each brood? any ideas to create peace? the male krib is the only victim, everyone else in the tank is safe.

Chill

Seasons Greetings
Jun 16, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
is it normal for a krib to turn more agressive with each brood? any ideas to create peace? the male krib is the only victim, everyone else in the tank is safe.

I know my exwife sure did.

Sorry couldn't resist. The footprint on a 20 high is probably too small leaving the male too close for the female's comfort. Removing the male is about your only option.

Lady Ns

Critter Crazy
Sep 27, 2007
Australia
Real Name
Phae
Remove the male if you can, otherwise, place something in there for him to hide in. Do you have any other fish in the same tank? If not, you may want to get dither fish or something the female and male can both defend the fry from. May make things a bit easier on the male.
I had to remove a juvi male as his mate was killed by his parents and they had moved onto attacking him. Now I gotta finds him another mate....

terror spawnin

AC Members
Jun 2, 2007
These little fish are insane when it comes to breeding. Might I suggest lace rock stacked to make lots of cave space? If your tank is just planted they cannot hide very well and at night it gets pretty rough.
Find a large fish or two as dithers that don't go near the bottom. Breeding guppies are really good since the kribs love eating guppy fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store