HELP!!! Goldfish choking on a goldfish pellet!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
I think my one comet is choking!!! he keeps flaring his gills and mouth and swimming funny!!!
what can I do????????

HELP!!!!!!!!

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
Well we caught him and looked down his throat and couldn't see the pellet in there. He is having a hard time swimming against the current and is just hanging around at the bottom of thank. He is only about 2.5inches. Do you think we fed pellets to soon? I just wanted to give them a more varied diet, I would feel terrible if he died.

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
The pellets are small, less that 1/8" in diameter.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
It is probably not the pellet. If is he is gasping it is probably something else. What are the water parameters? How big is the tank? How many and what species of fish? Are there any other signs of distress or illness?

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
The tank is a 65g with 6 common goldfish all 2.5" or less. We did a water change yesterday and the water parameters are 0ammonia 0nitrite and >20ppm nitrate. All the other fish seem happy with no signs of illness. I just checked on him and he seems to be acting more like himself ...

he is pooping out a dark strand the color of the pellet

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
I rather doubt that he was choking. If you just started feeding pellets after switching from flakes, you might be seeing the simple difference in "chewing". Since goldfish don't have teeth or a stomach to soften food, they grind up food against bony plates in their jaw before it passes into their gut. Pellets cause much more vigorous grinding and you'll probably see big gill swishing and mouth movement.

If the pellets are smaller than the black part of his eye, they should be the right size. If in doubt, buy a smaller pellet.

As long as you're seeing evidence of the pellets in his poo, don't worry too much about it. :)

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
Thank you, I think he is okay and we were just over reacting ... Next time I will soften the food just to be on the safe side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store