Algae on plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
Hey guys..

This morning I noticed that my HC and glasso have some thread (i think) algae on them, and it's spreading.

Both plants have been growing well in the past few weeks, and are both showing signs of new growth (despite the algae.)

What are the causes of thread algae? does it make sense that it's only growing on the lowest plants in the tank (ie insufficient lighting?)

I suppose I should add:

lighting is approx 2.4 wpg, and I dose w/ plant gro NPK (not iron enriched, as I can only find it in tiny bottles.)

params have been pretty steady at
NH 0 NO2 0 NO3 10 at the end of the week.
Weekly water changes of about 30%
DIY CO2 KH @ 4 - 5 and pH @ 7.2

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
What size tank is it? What is the pH of your tap water...what's the pH of your tap water if you let it sit out over night?

The reason I ask, 7.2 is a high pH if you're adding CO2. Your tap pH may be ~8.0, in which case the 7.2 makes sense. I would check that out. If your tap pH is 7.6 or lower, you're not getting enough co2 out of the DIY setup.

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
pH is DEF high here..

I've tested it sitting after overnight at anywhere from 7.6 - off the chart..

or at least thats what I have in my little book tracking params. Though, I've moved from one side of the building to the other since that test..

I'll leave some sitting out tonight and test tomorrow evening.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store