Best Sand Dwellers/Sifter for Freshwater Aquariums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

williamgale

AC Members
Feb 20, 2007
Elyria, Ohio
Please list your experiences with these babies! Theres not alot of places online that help me on this topic... I love the look of sand substrate but all that room in the bottom of the tank not being used is a shame... What would bring it to life? Its seems that FW sifters are a myth? lol

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Spiny eels will bury themselves in the sand, which help to stir it, but they get pretty good sized. Geophagus sp. cichlids are sandsifters, but again, you need a proper tank and tankmates. Malaysian trumpet snails are probably the best bet.

BoredAgain

Cubs in '10
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
Do you actually need your sand sifted or are you just looking for bottom dwellers? If you do need it sifted, then I agree with sploke, MTS is the way to go.

williamgale

AC Members
Feb 20, 2007
Elyria, Ohio
My prob is I have a G. tile (moray eel) that is 2 feet long and corys lay around on top which is not very feasible with the eel. Spiny eels seem to be ok because they are fast. Im looking for tankmates and sand stirrers to keep my hand out of there as much as possible.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Morays though are not purely freshwater. With that kind of fish, I doubt any other fish can go along well with this fish. Try the MTS.

williamgale

AC Members
Feb 20, 2007
Elyria, Ohio
Lupin, I have a 55gallon that is cycling right now. No other tankmates yet for my moray. I have had the moray for over a year and although he is very well mannered he is a eel. MTS could cause a very bad injury if swallowed. Corys are a bit to small. Im prolly going to end up with a puffer or something of the such to tankmate with him. I was thinking maybe copepods or something to live in the sand?

williamgale

AC Members
Feb 20, 2007
Elyria, Ohio
Im aware of the fw to br to marine with the eel. he will prolly stay br for the most part. hes not the sw type. I have a 46gal bow sw but its not for him. the hardest part with g. tiles in fw or br is to get them to eat. we have overcome those prob and he is thriving in a 20 gallon now (i know its two small, hense the 55 cycling)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store