strange question.... who knows alot about the blue damsel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

williamgale

AC Members
Feb 20, 2007
Elyria, Ohio
I have a 55gal brackish tank with a G.Tile (FW moray eel).

I have been searching for tankmates for this impressive eel (boring to some, but like ugly kids, we still love them!!!! haha) with little luck until i ran into this artical
http://forum.aquariumhobbyist.com/morays/messages/1125.html

...in addition to mary's response the eel is commonly found in estuaries where fresh meets salt and the best for long term health is a specific gravity of 1.017 to 1.019 and good fish to keep them with are other fish with a similiar lifestyle such as: mono, mono sebae, molly, needle nose gar, and maybe a very hardy damsel such as a blue damsel.

What would the SW experts on here think? is this a cruel idea for the mean damsel or can it be done? I have aragonite sand already in and the tank is cycling.

can someone comment on this for me please...? i love the idea!

kamoton

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
SC
Depending on the size of the eel ...the damsel might serve as a meal. My 14" wolf eel never picks on anything...but I caught her with my 4" strawberry grouper halfway down the hatch. I chased her for a few minutes until she spit it out, but the damage to the little grouper might have been a bit too much.
If you do decide to get a dam...try to get a large sized one. If you lived closer to me I'd give you 1 of my dominoes. ( :

williamgale

AC Members
Feb 20, 2007
Elyria, Ohio
thank you. Damsels are a dime a dozon here so its not a financial loss yet a moral loss if the spec gravity is not enough. the idea of the damsel in a lower spec grav is the question Im curious about... I know with my interest in the eel i have to be wary of everything it might think is lunch.

kamoton

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
SC
They are pretty hardy fish and I don't see why it wouldn't adapt as long as you slow drip acclimate it to your tank. I say go for it! Just try to keep your sg level at the highest point that would be acceptable for your eel.

williamgale

AC Members
Feb 20, 2007
Elyria, Ohio
this is def my best option. visually and financially... woohoo! thank you for your help.

What are the most hardy Damsels? can someone list a few so i can further research them please???

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
I had a blue damsel that lived through all of my newbie mistakes when I first set up my SW tank. I ended up having to get rid of him because he was evil and harassed my fish but if you're looking for an evil fish then tryout the blue damsel. The domino and three stripe ones are considered the most aggressive though.

kamoton

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
SC
this is def my best option. visually and financially... woohoo! thank you for your help.

What are the most hardy Damsels? can someone list a few so i can further research them please???
The only ones I've personally dealt with are domino, 3 stripe, & beau gregory. The Beau seems to be he meanest and the dominos are quite bold also. My dominos took 1 year to get from 1" to 4-5".

ChangDriX

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
515 Iowa
i got a blue he's pretty mellow as far as most damsels go...never been a problem with my eel he even fin smacks every now and again when he comes sneaking up on him lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store