Advice needed/Feeding Veggies to SAE's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
I have 5 SAE's and would like to supplement their diet with veggies. Can anyone give advice:

1. Which veggies?
2. How much for 5 SAE's
3. How to prepare the food
4. How often to supplement with veggies?

I caught 1 of the SAE's eating the pennywort plant in the tank, and Lupin suggested supplementing with veggies.IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I have 7 SAEs in my tank, and they love raw zucchini. I just take a zucchini, cut it into 1/4s, stick a fork in it to keep it from floating, place it in the tank, and you're all set. They also eat froz. green beans. I thaw them, slit them along the seam, take out the seeds,and drop them in the tank. You can use canned green beans, but none of the markets near me sell them without salt added. The froz ones have no salt added. My plecos love them both also. The beans usually disappear completely (I drop in 6 every 2 or 3 days), and the zucchini is gone within 2 days, except for the skin. Good luck.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
I have 7 SAEs in my tank, and they love raw zucchini. I just take a zucchini, cut it into 1/4s, stick a fork in it to keep it from floating, place it in the tank, and you're all set. They also eat froz. green beans. I thaw them, slit them along the seam, take out the seeds,and drop them in the tank. You can use canned green beans, but none of the markets near me sell them without salt added. The froz ones have no salt added. My plecos love them both also. The beans usually disappear completely (I drop in 6 every 2 or 3 days), and the zucchini is gone within 2 days, except for the skin. Good luck.
That's just the kind of info I was looking for - thank you so much!

Joergen.Schoppe

AC Members
Jan 13, 2007
China Shenzhen/Shekou
Haven't seen any SAE eating plants, they are nibbling on the algae all the time, but are not going for the plants. I have plenty of algae, dough, maybe that's missing in Hollygirls tank? And maybe also in yours, clay101?
I have them now for 1.5 years, never had any problems...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store